The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 11 Post By caberguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 07:44 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default It was a lovely day in the driftless...

The fish were really slippery though, had about 15-20 hookups, but only landed 4, and they were little fellas; I think if I was wading I would have landed at least 5-6 more. Fishing from the bank I was having trouble deploying my net efficiently. Hooked into one 15-16" brown, but he took my upstream presentation hard downstream and got free on the slack he created. For the first hour or so I didn't even see a fish and it felt like I was snagging something with every cast. Then it picked up a bit, and I found a groove that allowed me to stay out of the weeds for sometimes 5 or 6 casts in a row.

Started with hopper/dropper but decided I can't stand casting that setup. Plus I didn't see anything rise all day. Went subsurface and they wouldn't even look at scuds or copper johns or crystal buggers... San Juan worms to the rescue once again.

It was a lovely day though.

It seems I've almost exclusively found browns when I've gotten out there... any ideas where i might find a preponderance of brookies in the eastern Driftless?

Click the image to open in full size.
A beautiful day, in a lovely meadow...

and some small water...

and some little wild browns...

...not a bad Tuesday

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

And the smell of wild mint was thick in the air... which is nice too.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It was a lovely day in the driftless...

Great trip report, congrats on figuring out what the fish wanted that day!

Larry

Old 09-25-2013, 06:21 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me very much of the threads you see on the UK 'Mother Board.' For the most part small stream fishing as above is the norm.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 AM
Business Member

flyfishusa is on a distinguished road

Nothing wrong with a day like that, nice write-up.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:12 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Thanks for the report. Makes me homesick.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:32 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Certainly better then my day sitting in the office!!

Storm Drain Bonefisher