The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 02:55 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Hello Everyone, I'm Back Home!

Hey Ard,

Great to have you back at the helm and posting with us. Looking forward to reading your reports, write ups and looking at your photography. Welcome home buddy!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hello Everyone, I'm Back Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Maybe I'm just a Florida boy, but it seems to me like you're doing it backwards. Were it me I'd take care of those out of state commitments during the winter and return to Ak. in the spring, summer and fall, but that's just me.
Thanks for the replies fellows,

Brian, I just cam back yesterday from trout fishing. I really wish you had been there.

fe13,

I never left AK., I have been away fishing most of the season and just returned to Wasilla for awhile. There will be yet another trip scheduled for October 4th through the 9th. After that I'll be doing day trips from home and on the computer talking fish every night

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-26-2013, 05:06 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome back ard!
looking forward to seeing/hearing about your latest trip

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 09-26-2013, 07:58 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

I always look forward to your posts, now there will be more- fun!

From a noob,
CAB
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:08 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

This is good news and bad news; good you're back, bad the fishing there (and here) is winding down. Another long winter too soon!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:03 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Glad that you are home and maybe a little bet more comfortable for the both of you. Hope the new business is working out and you can regain a couple of pounds that you lost guiding this year, welcome back.

Rick
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rick,

I have lost weight, I've been on the go a whole lot this season. Between the fishing thing and all the work at the cabin I have burned off more than I took in I guess.

I'll be writing all about the summer to the blog later this fall but here are a few pictures of how the land at the cabin is shaping up.

I have cut over 70 large trees over the past 3 years and finally opened up the land so that we have a breeze and very few bugs now!
Click the image to open in full size.

This year we got the stumps out and now I have to make a grooming drag to level it out next spring.

I was going to build a wood shed but have decided on an addition to the rear of the building that will include wood storage.

Just what I need ........ another job out there.

Anyway, I finally got the underside of the building fully stuffer with new R-33 insulation and sealed off with R-7.2 4 X 8 sheets of Styrofoam

I am expecting to be warm this winter while I run the wiring and work on interior carpentry. There is still so much to do before it will seem like a liveable place but I have done a lot.

I have left only a few trees so that it isn't barren out front. This coming spring I'll take down about a dozen & a half out back.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:37 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Nice looking project you got there. Since im a remodeler buff, I'd like to see some updates of that and glad you had a great season!

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Someday I'll dig up old photos so we have a 'before & after' sequence. It will be pretty drastic for sure.

When April rolls around I should have the ceilings done and the lights installed. The second floor has a bridge that runs from the loft to the 2 big windows in the front gable. That will be done and the railings all finished too. We are really looking forward to being able to shop the second hand stores for furniture and to make it comfortable there.

I am having a large freight sled built for this winter so I can haul whatever we want or need out there without paying 32 cents a pound for freight. The cabin is 72 miles off road so everything must be hauled during winter. You can barge things during high water in spring & summer but there you are still at .32/pound. It really adds up when you figure a 55 gallon drum of fuel at 385 pounds. We will take out 4 drums this winter, that alone would cost $492.80 for freight. When you figure what the gas costs and then add over 100 dollars per barrel, it will pay for the sled fast. We spend roughly 1000 every winter for freight, the sled will cost $1200.00 so it's a winning deal.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Ard your place looks great, lots of hard work, some day maybe well knock on your door, add some pounds and stay warm.

Rick