The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: How to Get Home From Fishing............

Great looking stuff Ard!!

My wife told me long ago, SMILE in your fish pictures you old Ogre!

Bucket List.
Hardyreels and von behr like this.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

those are some huge rainbows ard!
beautiful

casey
Hardyreels and von behr like this.

ARFE
Old 09-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Casey what did you think of that snow for September 25th? It was all rain after I came down from the mountains.

Larry,

The Sculpins are doing well, for those who didn't see what we are talking about, these are some of the flies that I'm trouting with this fall.
Click the image to open in full size.

I gave my friend 7 of them and had to do some tying last night to catch up on inventory. I'm going to go out at about noon today until dark.

Brookfield angler,

Believe me, I did my share of fishing near cities and I still fish right in the heart of Anchorage every year. Being out there is wonderful but the logistics are a nightmare. When you compound the unpredictability of the weather into it you can lose some of the shine from the apple.................. I had a good time until I had to leave

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-27-2013, 08:41 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I'll bet that was a cold ride home but bet you are accustomed to it, something I'm not. Short rides I can handle, but 80 miles, guess I'll pass. If I ever get up there, maybe I'll do it if I have but I really better have to. LOL Nice trip for sure. Congrats.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

It was cold and very wet. I was prepared in a way because I had packed my First Gear motorcycle / snowmachine jacket and a Scorpion full face helmet with visor. The big problem was that I forgot the gloves that go with that outfit, big heavy Gore-Tex gauntlet gloves that are really warm. All I had were a pair of fleece and they were soaked.

By the time I reached the Deshka Landing I had to ask a fellow who was getting ready to launch to unbuckle my helmet straps. I could not feel nor could I control my fingers............ My hands were cold to the bone. Other than that I was fine but must say that it was the most brutal boat trip I've had yet.
fredaevans likes this.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:59 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

In another thread I poated that I don't really want to fish anywhere but Colorado, but you folks up there make Alaska look real good......

CAB
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Administrator

I'm going tomorrow and will post a report with photos CAB. Bt the way, I lived there in the Springs, just off Hancock on Dorado Drive.

Ard

Old 09-27-2013, 11:47 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

those are some fantastic pictures Ard bi would love to fish someplace like that.
I do have a question on the boat..is that a normal prop outboard? are the rivers really shallow up there?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Administrator

The boat is an 18.5 foot Sockeye tunnel hull made by ATEC here in Alaska. The motor is a Honda 90 hp. with a jet unit on it. Rivers can go from 10 feet of water to less than a foot and you'll never know it because of glacial silt in the water.

Most of what I run is between 2 & 4 feet deep, I stay out of the main channels when traveling up current to avoid the strong current and improve gas economy. When running down I keep with the main flow and the water is way deeper. If I could run a prop my mileage would be fantastic and my boat would do about 60 mph. but I would crash a prop in less than a week here.

Many of the smaller rivers I run have lots of spots where I must skim over a foot or less in many areas.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: How to Get Home From Fishing............

Ard, those are some really really great pictures you're getting with your camera! Is that the new point & shoot? Good to see your sculpins have been productive, it never gets old does it? That is, spinning your own flies, and landing fish. Watching your buddy land em too, even better!

How's the Nomad working out for you? I'm really considering one for Steelhead but am a little unsure of availability. Did you know they were purchased by Fishpond?

PS. It looks like Boss is enjoying the trip too, challenging waters and all.
Hardyreels likes this.