The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 04:31 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Do my flies suck?

If you are putting the fly somewhere where there are active fish, then it is all about the presentation and how the fly is moving in the water.

If you buggers are anywhere near proportioned correctly and you don't have half a package of marabou for the tail, most likely you are casting into empty water, water where the fish have been 'put down' of just not showing the fish food.

As stated above, go buy a few flies and compare them to what you are tying. Even bring in some of your flies into the local shop and ask them. I've had very positive responses the times I have done that.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:11 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Get some more flies, stay subsurface and on the smaller end of the size range. Not because it is inherently a superior strategy longterm. But in my rookie opinion it is just a little easier to catch fish. Maybe they'll be smaller fish, but you will build confidence you are on fish and not completely incapable of catching them. Confidence is important when you're doing something new.

I consider myself a good spin fisherman too. Some small wet flies and woolies are building my FF confidence that I at least know where to cast in the pool now. Presentation will improve with experience, and so will the size of my fish IMO.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:14 PM

s1dooley is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys,

Yeah my confidence is definitely low right now. Seems like I've got a LOT to learn but I do still have tons of fun just casting around (even if i'm only catching trees. Lol). I definitely have trouble getting the fly where I "think" I need it to. It does make sense about bait fish not hanging in open water. I think most people tie buggers on size #8 streamer hooks and I've been using 10's to keep my chances a little better. It's not the first time I've heard to use smaller flies if I'm not catching anything. I think i'll def bring my flies to a shop and buy some from the owner too both to fish and model my own after. I do have a blast tying regardless of the result! Lol. I'll have to keep watching some video's to learn some strategy. I was watching this orvis vid before where the guy was sneaking up the side of the river bank on a HUGE brown during a mayfly hatch and hooked him first cast. It was awesome. Thanks again for all the advise guys. It's pretty overwhelming now that I'm starting to realise how much I need to learn but I'm in it for life cause I love it!!!!

Sean.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Oh I forgot,

I'm not sure about the George Washington Inn. Do you remember what rd. it was on? 434, 590, 739?? there is a place called Pine Hurst and also this German inn on the NY side of Delaware in Barryville but I'm not sure of the name.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1dooley View Post
Hi Ard,

Im in N. Eastern Pa., been fishing mostly the Lackawaxen river right where it meets the Delaware and also small streem called Shohola creek in the Lords Valley area. Shohola creek (the spot ive been fishing) is kind of a pool at an elbow in the creek where the current is very slow. Your advise seems spot on. I havent fished the Lackawaxen lately as I've felt "out gunned" without waders but eagerly anticipate going back once my waders arive. I actually just bought some deer hair so I'll get on those muddler's and sculpins, thanks again.

Sean.
Hi Sean,

I was born in PA and fished there a lot but never where you are at. You will be doing yourself a favor if you look for a U tube tutorial on spinning and trimming deer hair. You need the correct thread and extra patience.

Once you get wading you'll be able to go hunting with the streamers easier.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-27-2013, 07:18 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

In Barryville the German restaurant used to be Reebers. Across the street was a little movie theater that burnt down( my friend owned it). On the other side of the bridge was the George Washington. It was a big old white house and it had a bar with fold down stools and a player piano. When you ordered a sandwich it came down from upstairs in a dumbwaiter ! I believe it was built in the late 1700s . It was a great place!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-28-2013, 08:44 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1dooley View Post
I think most people tie buggers on size #8 streamer hooks and I've been using 10's to keep my chances a little better. It's not the first time I've heard to use smaller flies if I'm not catching anything.
With down-sizing buggers, if you are using the usual 3x or 4x long streamer hook, consider tying up a few on shorter hooks, like a 1x or 2x long streamer hooks, or even 1x long wet fly hooks.

I tie buggers as small as #14 Mustad 9671's & 3906B's, pretty much wet flies or micro streamers.
(I think in the old Mustad #'s, sorry: 3906 = standard wet fly hook, 3906B= 1x long wet fly hook, 9671 = 2x long wet fly/ streamer, 9672 = 3x long streamer hook.)

The other two things I have learned about buggers is that if you over weight them, they sink too fast in calmer water and the fish pretty much ignore them, and if you tie them unweighted or too light they tend to stay high in the water column where baitfish, leeches and big water bugs don't hang out.
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
With down-sizing buggers, if you are using the usual 3x or 4x long streamer hook, consider tying up a few on shorter hooks, like a 1x or 2x long streamer hooks, or even 1x long wet fly hooks.

I tie buggers as small as #14 Mustad 9671's & 3906B's, pretty much wet flies or micro streamers.
(I think in the old Mustad #'s, sorry: 3906 = standard wet fly hook, 3906B= 1x long wet fly hook, 9671 = 2x long wet fly/ streamer, 9672 = 3x long streamer hook.)

The other two things I have learned about buggers is that if you over weight them, they sink too fast in calmer water and the fish pretty much ignore them, and if you tie them unweighted or too light they tend to stay high in the water column where baitfish, leeches and big water bugs don't hang out.
Great advise!

One of the best things about tying your own is you can vary them to fit any situation. Buggers alone can be tied in many variations, and with different types of weighting. There's no wrong way to tie them, unless you block the hook gape too much with materials which will make getting a good hook set difficult or impossible. Otherwise, try some different things.

I used to tie mostly with black thread & would tie a contrasting red band of thread around the heads on some flies to identify those that were weighted under the body (I use lead wire, some folks use non-lead) from those that were not. The red band didn't make any difference to the fish either.

Beads, cones, barbells or bead chain eyes can be added to many flies for weight & the sizes of these additions vary. All can be useful, but will take some time to learn which has the most use for you. IMO, variety can be a good adjustment tool!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!