The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 03:47 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Filling up the bird feeders ... yes, this is a real question.

I start to fill when the leaves are off the trees. i will the suet up as long as it stays under 55/60 degrees. Mainly two fold, so I can see more woodpeckers and nuthatches, and it gives me a longer timeframe to shoot starlings.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-27-2013, 06:19 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

I started about 3 weeks ago. I am a bird NUT and if feeding them early is wrong, I dont wanna be right
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

My better half checks her four feeders every morning and evening, 365 days a year. She had more quail in our front yard this morning than I shot during hunting season last year. Was driving the two labs crazy.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:36 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I feed the birds year around. I buy 50 pound bags of shelled medium sized Sunflower Chips at the local feed store for about $65.00. In really rough winters when the birds are hitting them hard, it's about a bag a week. In summer, a bag can last a month.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:40 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Filling up the bird feeders ... yes, this is a real question.

Picked up a goodly sized bag of 'Finch Feed' (they're the main winter bird here) to day at Wally's World. Will fill up the two feeders tomorrow.

Fred
Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

We feed them all year long, with the exception of the hummers. They stay around until after their feeders start to freeze- last night- and get plugged with snow, and do need the energy for the migratory flight to Mexico. ( I'll refrain from the illegal immigrant jokes). The seed also feeds the different squirrels, deer, and foxes.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Picked up a goodly sized bag of 'Finch Feed' (they're the main winter bird here) to day at Wally's World. Will fill up the two feeders tomorrow.

Fred
Two feeders? Some Scottish heritage?
Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

My mom sent me a decorative bird feeder a couple of years ago. I've never used it. Seems like it would be unethical since I have two cats that spend most of their time outside.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 09-30-2013, 12:59 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

When the squirrels leave.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:10 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
When the squirrels leave.
Your squirrels leave? Ha! They must travel to my house!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-30-2013, 01:45 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
My mom sent me a decorative bird feeder a couple of years ago. I've never used it. Seems like it would be unethical since I have two cats that spend most of their time outside.
Not to worry, you get a bird feeder hanger you stick in the yard (or one that hangs off a tree limb) and good to go. Birds will find same soon enough.

Today it rained like heck so feeder(s) are still empty .. and the Fnches are Pissed Off!