The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By chased
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default I Should'a Been Fishing...........

But I tied flies all day.

When I left the lodge on Wednesday morning I gave my friend 8 (I think) of the magic articulated Sculpin flies. It didn't rain today and it's 50* out but I felt like I needed to replace the flies before going. These things take a long time to make.

This is the type of fly that has a barb less Gamakatsu #4 stinger hook tethered to a shank with 15 pound Power Pro braid. I use a large sewing needle to thread the braid through a strip of bunny fur that is lashed to the stinger.

The braid id knotted to the shank and the bunny fur secured there also. Then I wind the fur forward and tie off. After all that I use spun deer hair - wool - a set of pheasant shoulders for peck fins - and tie in a bunch of dyed grizzly hackles before sliding one of those Sculpin helmets onto the front of the shank and finishing the head.

It is a multi step process and I'm slow. I did replace all the ties and am ready for morning now. I just need to figure out where to go fishing.

This type fly is like a big rainbow magnet. Is anyone else making them or something similar?
baseman1 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-27-2013, 06:48 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice
Default Re: I Should'a Been Fishing...........

Can you post pics, and maybe some of the tying process? Thanks.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

The tying process is kinda like I wrote in the opening post. I taught myself how to make these because I couldn't find any on-line tutorials that tied flies like I wanted to make.

These look pretty bushy but when hey get wet the colors blend into some pretty good looking meals.
Click the image to open in full size.

The big ones have the stinger hook trailing back in the feathers & fur. They have only 1 hook, the trailer.

These little ones are tied on single short shank streamer hooks and are the 'what I use when the big ones don't work' flies.

Since I started using & tying these the big ones always work.

Maybe in the winter I'll do a tying step by step on these, they are tough to tie and probably hard to photo each step also.....................

Don't be intimidated by the size or weight, I'm fishing them on either a 7'9" 5 weight or blasting them out 90' on a 13'9" Spey rod. They cast swell, you just have to beef up the leader butt.
fyshstykr and baseman1 like this.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:18 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Those sculpins would make some Wyoming trout very happy!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:01 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Good looking flies Ard, thanks for giving me MORE stuff to think about Actually you did give me an idea of what I can do with a bag of pheasant feathers I've had laying around for a few years--SCULPINS!

I too have been logging what time I have at the bench in preparation for an upcoming Salmon trip. Sometimes you've just gotta sit down and get ready even though a wet line is the preferred alternative.

Thanks for posting, I enjoy seeing your flies.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Hi Jason,

I've been blending colors on the ties and then seeing what works best, sometimes brown - sometimes olive. The brown & olive seems to be best but they need more time in the rivers before I commit to one color combo. I'm throwing them on my old Hardy 13'9" with a Jetstream 10/11 with a 65' belly. The leader is a ten foot made of; #50 - 40 - 30 - 25 - 20 - and tipped with 15. I have added a piece of 12 pound for today because the river is low and clear but the 15 works just fine. If you try to tip lighter than 15 Ultra Green you must be very careful or you'll break a fly off. I haven't lost any but my buddy had a knot fail on a big trout last week.

I like fishing these because the fish are taking them real well.

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.