The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about
Default The Old Spot

Does anyone else have that one stream, river, or lake that brings back incredible memories you cant help but smile and laugh at?
I personally do, and sitting here in my college dorm in Vermont I can't help but think about the Little Miami river back where home is in Ohio. When I was little my dad took me out on a short day trip to the river on a hot summer day with kamikaze mosquito that were bigger than me at the time. We took along one ultralight Fenwick spinning rod and a Ziploc bag with a few tubes and jig heads in it showed into my dads pocket. After what seemed like a marathon we broke through the overgrown trail to a river bank alive with grasshoppers and damsel flies. The water was clear, cool, and beautiful. For my dad and I it was simply awesome. We walked down the bank casting into some small pools with no luck.
We continued walking downstream on the bank until we came to a spot my dad told me a story about he and his dad, where he recalled that in spring he would go fishing and observe the baby ducks waddle into the water only to be swallowed by huge northerns that used to inhabit the area. You can imagine how much I wanted to catch such a beast!
After starring at the water trying to catch a glimpse of these duck-eating fish we noticed the dark torpedo like figure of a fish cruising down the bank. It was HUGE at least to me at the time. Dad inched a small white Zoom curly tailed grub onto the small jighead and told me to cast across to it. The first cast was a foul ball, but the second toss langed perfectly two feet in fron of the fish. A few twitches later i was hooked up. Dad was absolutely thrilled as he coached me along and helped bring it in. The contest probably lasted 20-30 minutes.
When the whale got to shore it wasn't the knarly toothed monster I had expected but a large grass carp, I couldn't even lift it up! It was so much fun fighting the fish in, but looking back now it was even more fun just being out on the water with my dad. We only caught one fish that day, showing that some of the best days on the water can be the ones when the fish are full.
Still today that stretch of water is my favorite to fish, when I need a break of a good time that's where i go. I've never caught a Northern there, they must have gone away. But boy are the smallies fun on the old 5wt!
So this is my spot, a place that when i comes down to it is my go to, even if it isnt flowing with monster fish that bite every cast. Its special because my dad shared it with me, and it always will be. Hopefully one day if God blesses me with a family i can take my kid to the same spot and he can hook into a bronze back, on the fly however.

Do any of you have places like this that you would call your stream or river? if so have any good stories about them?
Hardyreels and ia_trouter like this.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The Old Spot

Great story and memories Christian,

I do, but they are way too many to get started on now. If you get bored sometime check through the 60 or so blog entries I've posted here on the forum. Some are memories of rivers past and others are about places and times here in Alaska. I will be adding a whole lot more this winter because I've been around pretty good this season.

I got some great stuff from the AK. DF&G King Salmon radio tagging program to write and post about this past spring. I spent an afternoon on the fish wheels with a F&G crew and they provided plenty of good photo ops for me. I promise it will be interesting..........

Memories are perhaps the very best part about fly fishing, it takes us away to the most special spots and often with the most special people in our lives.

Ard
ia_trouter likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-27-2013, 10:19 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

There's a little stream in the southern Sierra...a blue line...all granite country, so just plunge pool to plunge pool. Each pool holds fish, but only one at a time will eat, so you move on or wait a few minutes. June, 1974 I fell in so my wife jumped in too. We cooked trout over a fire for lunch. I'd go back there...
Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Most of us do Christian. I've had much nicer fish since, but I remember Dad buying my first fishin pole. Before the days of Snoopy and Spiderman poles, but that is basically what it was. Catching channel cats, crappie and nice bluegills some 40 years ago with Dad will never be forgotten. I never had a son, but my daughter is going off to college next year so we spent this summer making some fishing memories. Her step Granddad is 83. We are taking him crappie fishing just as soon as the weather cools. Her idea. I think she "gets it" too.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:44 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

For me it was in Middle School at Howell Watkins Junior high. Right across the street was lake Katherine (more of a big pond connected to a canal really). Anyway, there was a fishing club and we used to bring our rods to school on Monday's and Wednesday's to fish. It was run by the PE teacher. But sixth period (our last of the day) we used to have "gifted" social studies and my friend Danny and I were in that class. Four days a week it was pretty serious history and poli sci stuff. But one day a week (oddly Wednesday), the teacher, a serious fisherman himself, let the class have "self study" to work on up coming projects in the library, or the computer lab or in study groups in the quad. And he never said a word when my friend Danny and I took our rods across the street and netted grass shrimp with aquarium nets, put them on #10 hooks and dangled them on the end of a culvert for big blue gill till the last bell rang.
He was asked about it once and said we were doing a project on fisheries management in the canal system as an independent project on state government. Danny and I then had to give the worst 10 minute presentation on anything ever given in middle school the next week. 30 years later I still go back and fish that spot occasionally with wooly buggers. I was not a happy kid in Jr. High (who is?), but I always looked forward to Wednesday. In fact, now that you bring it up, I might hit it next week. I don't think we ever got skunked there, even if it was a tiny fish, and looking across the narrow two lane road at the school? It makes me hopeful that someone like Mr. Bailey is still teaching there.

Last edited by fq13; 09-28-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Two places come to mind, one when I was 10 or 12 living in Ocean Falls, British Columbia. Retired Scot would pull me out of school (books included) and we'd get in his old wood boat and motor up to the mouth of the Bella Coola river and camp/fish for a week. Fishing/catching could be 'bonkers,' or it could rain like hell for the whole week.

The second set we'd just sit in this 'waxed' canvas tent and I'd read to him from my books. Good weather I'd read to him with the light from a kerosene lantern.

2009 and spent a 4.5 trip to the Deschutes River and 'camped' with Mark Backman (Guide) of flyfishusa. Two of us and Steelhead fishing was like 'shooting fish in a barrel.' Both of us LANDED at least 25 fish and lost several more. Right in front of our camp area!

Mark wanted to run us up/down the river in his jet boat and both Charlie and I just gave him a blank stare as to "Why?" Good thing is I've known Mark for years and the 'Guide' is supposed to 'Guide.' Told Mark to 'Knock it off and go get your rod!'

I know he out 'caught' both of us and I even have a good chunk of that on film. Got tired and walked back to camp ... a whole 75 yards ... and got my vid-camera and walked up the beach to see how the 'other two' were doing. Mark's in the river and I'm sitting on the beach/chatting/shooting film. In that 20 minutes he hooked/released at least five fish.

Guys a MACHINE when it comes to the use of a 2hander fly rod.

Charlie? He'd hooked released three fish that morning.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 AM
Business Member

flyfishusa is on a distinguished road

I remember my Dad giving me my first fly rod when I was 6, it was an ugly yellow Eagle Claw with brown wraps... I loved that rod and fished many a time on Boulder creek right next to our house. We had named the fishing holes one through ten and we would hike up that creek for hours upon hours. Holy moley I sound old...

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Two places come to mind, one when I was 10 or 12 living in Ocean Falls, British Columbia. Retired Scot would pull me out of school (books included) and we'd get in his old wood boat and motor up to the mouth of the Bella Coola river and camp/fish for a week. Fishing/catching could be 'bonkers,' or it could rain like hell for the whole week.

The second set we'd just sit in this 'waxed' canvas tent and I'd read to him from my books. Good weather I'd read to him with the light from a kerosene lantern.

2009 and spent a 4.5 trip to the Deschutes River and 'camped' with Mark Backman (Guide) of flyfishusa. Two of us and Steelhead fishing was like 'shooting fish in a barrel.' Both of us LANDED at least 25 fish and lost several more. Right in front of our camp area!

Mark wanted to run us up/down the river in his jet boat and both Charlie and I just gave him a blank stare as to "Why?" Good thing is I've known Mark for years and the 'Guide' is supposed to 'Guide.' Told Mark to 'Knock it off and go get your rod!'

I know he out 'caught' both of us and I even have a good chunk of that on film. Got tired and walked back to camp ... a whole 75 yards ... and got my vid-camera and walked up the beach to see how the 'other two' were doing. Mark's in the river and I'm sitting on the beach/chatting/shooting film. In that 20 minutes he hooked/released at least five fish.

Guys a MACHINE when it comes to the use of a 2hander fly rod.

Charlie? He'd hooked released three fish that morning.
Fred, you're gonna give my Dad a bigger head than he already has! But you are right, I have never seen anyone out fish him on the Deschutes or the Sandy. Oh, there might be a day or two but never on a long stretch.
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

I have great memories of the summers spent on my Grandfather's farm in New Brunswick. My cousins and I would spend the summer just fishing the small stream that ran though the middle of the farm, that's all we did for the four weeks I was there. I remember getting back to the house with my pockets stuffed full of small brookies, my Aunt had a fit when she went to wash my pants.

Back when I was around 11 or 12 there was a fire in my Grandfathers old house, my four cousins and my Aunt were killed, my Uncle was in the hospital at the time so he escaped.

I'll always remember the great times I spent on that little brook with my cousins.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:41 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Many moons ago I cast my virginity on a 4x tippet and hooked a devil of a little rainbow trout on a simple grizzly hackle fly I tied. My first ! I was doomed, having committed the fly fisherman's "original sin". In the modern age of the digital camera I was able to get a picture of "my roots" on a visit back home and every now and then I bring up the image on my laptop screen and the memories start to flow like a river.

The spot.......

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:43 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishusa View Post
I remember my Dad giving me my first fly rod when I was 6, it was an ugly yellow Eagle Claw with brown wraps... I loved that rod and fished many a time on Boulder creek right next to our house. We had named the fishing holes one through ten and we would hike up that creek for hours upon hours. Holy moley I sound old...

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 AM ----------

Fred, you're gonna give my Dad a bigger head than he already has! But you are right, I have never seen anyone out fish him on the Deschutes or the Sandy. Oh, there might be a day or two but never on a long stretch.
One of my closest fishing pard's (Nate Bailey- and his son) are over there (Deschutes) now (or shortly?) with Mark. As Nate's also a guide here on the Rogue river, I'd love to listen into their conversations.

Side bar story from the trip. Mark has/had a Honda generator to power off a light bulb or two in the main tent and it went ..... fizzle. He was NOT a happy camper. Asked if he had a tool kit, he did in the boat and asked why?

In my classes for my degree in 'Vineyard Management' (yes, I did have a vineyard) we had to take a 'small engine repair' class and I could 'field strip' down a small engine (and put it back together) with my eyes closed. Pulled the spark plug and did a 'ah sh it.' Cleaned the thing with beach sand, dried it off with my shirt, reinserted and one pull and off she goes.

Wrote him a short bit on: 'To keep this thing running properly, here's what you HAVE to do.' Problem boiled down to too many hours running at low speed; he needed to run this thing full on at least one hour/day. Etc.
flyfishusa likes this.