The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More Pictures From The Trout Trip;

Beautiful pics Ardthese bows are....muscle fish
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Awesome photos as always! Those Rainbows are just huge, you can tell they have had the feed bag on for quite awhile.

Larry
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I came home today from the River skunked. I chose a favorite river up north because we have caught some big trout there in falls past but today NOTHING.

It is a weird fall right now, today was 55* and the leaves are still holding real good. I suspect that the late run silvers have the trout way up at the North Fork with them yet. The trout follow the salmon and when the spawning is finished or........ the water drops way down and gets really cold the trout drop down the rivers toward the big water and some go to the salt or brackish water near the Inlet.

Timing the 'drop' isn't easy and I missed the boat today. I fished a most beautiful run for 5 hours before giving up. I couldn't just quit the run, I thought there must be at least one monster there but I had not even a bump.

This is the place I fished and the flies used.

Batter up;
Click the image to open in full size.

I thought that maybe a more visible fly would change the game.............

In the end I fished the run 4 times very carefully. I did that because I took a fellow there 2 seasons ago and he caught a 27" rainbow in this water. We have seen some giants there and so I kept fishing and kept the faith even though I hadn't had a bump in 5 hours.

The way days like this go, it could be the next cast or it could be the one your are mending and guiding along the swing that breaks the slump. Today there was no break but maybe in another week they will be there.
von behr likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;