The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 10:25 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Big Box Stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Mike,

I believe the thread was started because the poster invested as a business member and is trying to promote the idea of doing business with small shops vs. mega sporting goods retailers.
Well, unless he thinks he's somehow "different" than other web shops, he made a great argument for not using his store. There's no difference between buying on line from Cabelas/Bass Pro vs his online shop.

I've been in the shop in Welches a couple of times and use the online store myself...but suggesting that buying online from them is different than walking into a Walmart (rather than shopping at my local fly shop) is wrong.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Business Member

flyfishusa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
When I think "small business", I don't thing about it having share holders or a Director of Marketing. I try to buy everything from humans locally. When that doesn't work I go for humans with web sites.
We have 10 employees and 4 of us are family, would you consider this a small business? We started with 10 employees and 8 of them were family(Dad, Mom and us 6 kids).

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Uh, I understand you're in marketing, so, uh...Do you shop on line?

What's the philosophic difference between walking into a Walmart vs buying discounted merchandise on line? Where does your business model support the idea of shopping local and supporting the "local fly shop?"

Hey, you started the thread, although I don't see why...
I simply state that I shop local when I can, and yes I shop online. But I'm one of those guys that always calls the place first. We get a lot of that type of shopping. We are online to extend our service to those who cannot get it from a local fly shop. We treat you the same online as we would in our store.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Well, unless he thinks he's somehow "different" than other web shops, he made a great argument for not using his store. There's no difference between buying on line from Cabelas/Bass Pro vs his online shop.

I've been in the shop in Welches a couple of times and use the online store myself...but suggesting that buying online from them is different than walking into a Walmart (rather than shopping at my local fly shop) is wrong.
I was not suggesting to buy from us instead of buying from your local shop. I was suggesting to buy from small businesses.
von behr, fredaevans and baseman1 like this.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:42 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishusa View Post
We are online to extend our service to those who cannot get it from a local fly shop.
I like and respect you, your family and your business. You are online, here, advertising specials with low prices designed to take business from local fly shops. There is nothing illegal or unsavory about that, but to maintain that your business is somehow different than dealing with any other web retailer doesn't fly with me.

I apologize to the rest of the community here....I'll shut up.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It would be remiss if I didn't add that Cabela's among other large retailers are also sponsors of the forum here and we greatly appreciate their support. I believe that the use of funds by anglers is perhaps a personal choice that is also driven by pricing and availability.

Consider that an attempt at covering myself or in other words; maybe I should leave this one alone

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-28-2013, 10:43 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I only wish we had had a fly shop up here. WalMart and Gander are a joke at best. I order my supplies from shops downstate and a well known one in Denver (Arvada).
Old 09-28-2013, 11:00 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
I only wish we had had a fly shop up here. WalMart and Gander are a joke at best. I order my supplies from shops downstate and a well known one in Denver (Arvada).
Yep! I dont have a flyshop within 2 hours in any direction. This sucks as I am the guy who pulls every bucktail off the rack, pull it out of the bag, fan the fibers with my thumb, then choose. lol Cant do that online. That is why I shop at flyshops when I'm near one. There was a thread a while ago about unfriendly staff at fly shops. That really sucks when youve taveled a long ways to a flyshop. I simply wont give arrogant shop staff my business.

I also dont think fly shops and Target/walmart/freddys is a fair compaison. fly shops are specialty services. Thats why they can get away with their mark-up. All I can say is, if you are a small specialty business trying to survive today, you better bite your tongue and be rediculously nice to your customers. make them feel like kings and queens Customer service opens wallets.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:26 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

I can't take an across the board direction on everything I buy. I support small biz when I can. I can and do pay a small premium to keep them around. But I can't pay an extra 100 bucks for the exact same appliances, huge premiums on my groceries, lumber etc. The horse is long out of the barn on some industries.

I have no choice but go online for my flyfishing gear. Cabelas has been good to me but I I look for small online shops when I can. Allen Flyfishing gives away good hooks, so I remember that and buy something more profitable from them next time, even if they are maybe a tad higher priced as I know they can't give away everything.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:58 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi flyfishusa,

I have been an online customer of yours ( although that was quite a while back ) and doing business with this shop was a pleasure and their website has more product info available than most.
I do think that adding the “ local “ component to your position dilutes or derails your message. To me, anytime an online retailer interjects the " local " aspect, it comes across as being disingenuous.

I’m no spring chicken, back when I started shopping with Cabela’s, Gander Mountain and a few others, they were all small businesses ( SBA guidelines or not ) and offered products that I couldn’t hope to find within a hundred miles of my rural American home on the river.

They provided my family with a solid blend of service and products at fair prices. As my life advanced and we moved from one place to the next, the one constant that I could count on for outdoor gear was the latest Cabela’s catalog that would inevitably show up in our mail box. In effect, they were always my local fly and tackle shop - as often was the case, no local fishing, camping or water sports stores existed. The fact that some of those businesses, like Cabela’s were successful and grew to become what they are today all points to achieving part of the American dream.

Let’s not overlook the customer loyalty aspect of this discussion.
Here’s the rub, as your business blossoms and grows, becoming ever larger and more successful, how would you perceive the situation then, if your customer base turned their backs on you, to seek out an upstart business that really needs their monetary support more than your - then bustling operation?
If you’d like them to stay true to your store, then how is that any different than long time customers of Cabela’s staying true to Cabela’s?

As for Wal-Mart they too serve a very real need in some communities . Not in all communities to be sure, but in this largely rural ag driven community, they help in keeping thousands of the local ag workers families afloat.

With respect for all, TT
fredaevans, jbird and ia_trouter like this.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:34 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Derek I will add Fly Fish USA to my list of shops, thanks and good luck.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Business Member

flyfishusa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Hi flyfishusa,

I have been an online customer of yours ( although that was quite a while back ) and doing business with this shop was a pleasure and their website has more product info available than most.
I do think that adding the “ local “ component to your position dilutes or derails your message. To me, anytime an online retailer interjects the " local " aspect, it comes across as being disingenuous.

I’m no spring chicken, back when I started shopping with Cabela’s, Gander Mountain and a few others, they were all small businesses ( SBA guidelines or not ) and offered products that I couldn’t hope to find within a hundred miles of my rural American home on the river.

They provided my family with a solid blend of service and products at fair prices. As my life advanced and we moved from one place to the next, the one constant that I could count on for outdoor gear was the latest Cabela’s catalog that would inevitably show up in our mail box. In effect, they were always my local fly and tackle shop - as often was the case, no local fishing, camping or water sports stores existed. The fact that some of those businesses, like Cabela’s were successful and grew to become what they are today all points to achieving part of the American dream.

Let’s not overlook the customer loyalty aspect of this discussion.
Here’s the rub, as your business blossoms and grows, becoming ever larger and more successful, how would you perceive the situation then, if your customer base turned their backs on you, to seek out an upstart business that really needs their monetary support more than your - then bustling operation?
If you’d like them to stay true to your store, then how is that any different than long time customers of Cabela’s staying true to Cabela’s?

As for Wal-Mart they too serve a very real need in some communities . Not in all communities to be sure, but in this largely rural ag driven community, they help in keeping thousands of the local ag workers families afloat.

With respect for all, TT
I digress, I may have jumped the gun on Cabela's and Bass Pro. Let me apologize for that. I can admit to my mistakes and sometimes it is hard to compete with the "Big Boxes". I don't blame anyone for shopping at any of the aforementioned businesses as sometimes these are the only ones available to them. I have seen wonderful businesses that have been in business for 50+ years fall because of the deep pockets of Large corporations and it sickens me. These are my own personal views and should be taken that way alone. If I have offended anyone I apologize, it was not my intention.