The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 12:43 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Big Box Stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I go to W*lmart too. Just for the pharmacy. $4 prescriptions. You'd be crazy not to.
Rip,

Same here (or $10 for 3 months)! WalMart has the best and lowest cost for almost anything.

But ...... I purchased a $800 Helios online from Orvis. I also got the "sonic seam" waders online from Orvis! Best money I have ever spent! WalMart doesn't carry top shelf fly rods (or I would buy there, the Helios would probably be about $400)

Power Pro is $19.95 in all the sporting stores, even the big chains ...... but it's $13.69 in WalMart! I'm also not crazy, so I buy almost everything in WalMart!

I'm glad your fly shop is doing well! But if a WalMart moved close to you, and had a fly section ....... you would go out of business soon?

The Free Market rules! It's what the world has become?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:49 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishusa View Post
I digress, I may have jumped the gun on Cabela's and Bass Pro. Let me apologize for that. I can admit to my mistakes and sometimes it is hard to compete with the "Big Boxes". I don't blame anyone for shopping at any of the aforementioned businesses as sometimes these are the only ones available to them. I have seen wonderful businesses that have been in business for 50+ years fall because of the deep pockets of Large corporations and it sickens me. These are my own personal views and should be taken that way alone. If I have offended anyone I apologize, it was not my intention.
I donít think anyone here has taken offense, nor needs to apologize for expressing their views in the demeanor expressed to this point. A topic was raised, ideas and thoughts flowed, positions were clarified and we all remain.. Friends?
Maybe each with a better understanding of the other.

Good to have you on the board, TT
Old 09-28-2013, 01:00 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Big Box Stores

I'm glad to see Fly Fishing USA on here. I have family up near Sandy, and when I visit Oregon and drive out toward Mt. Hood, I always stop by the shop, talk with the crew, and buy some supplies. It's a fantastic shop, right alongside the highway.

You'd have a tough time thinking of something for fly fishing they don't have.

Cheers,

-VB
fredaevans and flyfishusa like this.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:10 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work in a specialty retailer and know the value they can bring to a customer when done right. As a result of this, I'm both perhaps more critical of them than many but also supportive of them when they are so deserving. I'm blessed to have a great local shop nearby who is coming under fire by a few major big box chains and one major player in the fly fishing equipment industry.

Those guys, because of their service and knowledge have my local business. Between the level of service they provide, the sharing of information, and the free classes/clinics they offer how could I go anywhere else when I'm shopping locally? I was offered by the shop owner to use one of his personal rods to see if I liked it when I was contemplating that rod. That's above and beyond in my book.

When I order online, I use smaller shops as well mostly because of their level of service, product availability, knowledge, etc. If they sponsor here, that's an added bonus as well since I really enjoy this forum. I'm not advocating one way or the other how or where to spend your money on tackle, but this works for me and I'm sticking to it.

PS. I ordered some flies from flyfishusa for an upcoming trip and LOVE the quality of them upon first glance. As a tier I appreciate a well tied fly. Thanks for your business contribution and sponsorship, I wish you continued success livin your dream!
Old 09-28-2013, 03:25 PM

airwhipper is on a distinguished road

I don't shop at the big stores either unless absolutely necessary. To the best of my knowledge, I don't have a choice for most my outdoor gear and supplies. One of the major problems, in my opinion, is that almost NOTHING is made in the USA. One of the instructors for my electrical code classes calls China the parent company of Walmart. I went to a Gander Mountain looking for, among other things, a new camping backpack. They had 5 hanging up (big selection?) and 4 were made in China. One was made in Taiwan. I walked out after voicing my displeasure.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:58 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Airwhipper. The China discussion has been done to death on here. Search 'china' and you will see. Sort of like the local vs larger retailers vs net etc rarely does a new thread add new information.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:20 PM

quijibo has a spectacular aura aboutquijibo has a spectacular aura aboutquijibo has a spectacular aura about

Cabellas gets a lot of my business since I work 5 minutes from one, and the service is better than what I get at the 'local' (other side of the city) fishing store.
When I go into cabelas, someone isn't trying to tell me that unless I have a dozen rods, I'm not prepared to catch a fish. Sure selection isn't that great for tying material, but I get by.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:17 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

I think there is a bigger question here that takes in the local store/big box store argument:

The larger the business entity becomes, no matter what it is, the more it conglomerates and merges and increases efficiencies and seeks cheaper labor and so on, the more distant it becomes from essential human values. The values are eclipsed by the relentless necessity to serve the profit line above all other things.

These values include actual human connection to the customer, actual human pride of craft in the making of the product, concern for the quality of life for everyone along the economic chain, from the guy working in the sweatshop in India or China to the guy working at the counter in the huge box store. In a very simple sense, if you get something very cheap, someone somewhere else is probably making up the difference.

Of course, that is how business works, but each individual purchase we make has a value attached to it, a human value. And if the only thing that matters to you is how cheap something is, then you so be it. But somebody is making up the difference somewhere.

I try to use small dealers when buying gear or fly tying equipment and if money is really an issue, I will look for something used rather than buy it from a big company if I can.

Of course you canít always do that, but I run a small business myself, and my competitors are mostly big foreign companies. I treat my vendors and employees better then they do and my customers get better quality and service and thatís the only edge I have. And that ideal is also attached to my personal and business self-respect.

So I think I hear what the original poster is saying and I think I agree with him.

Rob
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:37 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Very amusing replies, folks who support small business and reject the big box stores, will in turn support big government.

Dave
Old 09-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Dave,

This has nothing to do with politics, not big government, not political parties, nothing at all to do with politics. Unless I missed something you are the only poster who reads this as a political thing.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;