The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 12:52 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Who carries more than one rod while fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Actually, I am a native. I was only a part-time yankee. That stuff is even nastier than cigarettes, which I have quit numerous times.
You and me both.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:21 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

All my rods are two piece. I've been using a two rod caddy for many years. Unless I'm going somewhere I expect to need the heavier rods, my 4 wt and 6 wt stay in the caddy. Last weekend trip in August was with the youth hunt group, brought along an extra 4 wt (7' 6") and a 3 wt cause there was one kid that had got a new fly rod and wanted some instruction. My 4 is noodley and my 6 is a bit faster and are good examples of the difference. The shorter 4 is also a good example and teaching tool.
I have tried carrying a second rod while I fish. Too distracting and mostly unnecessary.

Wjc and fq13- I can heartily recommend Chantix. Sept 1st was my 1 year anniversary of quitting after over 40 years of butts and many failed attempts. The sooner you do it, the better you'll feel about the money and your health and squandering both. -John

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 10-01-2013, 12:02 AM

long bow will become famous soon enough

The Old Man and I floated this last weekend, two guys (only one fishing at a time most of it--obviously) and we had 5 rods in the boat! And unfortunately actually had it come in handy as a rod broke to boot.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:57 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Extra stays in the Jeep, just in case something bad happens since I usually drive an hour or more to fish.
This happenened to my son in law while we were fishing a couple of weekends ago. Lucky for him I always carry two flyrods with reels. We could have rented a rod but then we would have had to leave and go to the flyshop. Lost fishing time.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:22 PM

mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about

In a boat, always have a nymph rod and a dry fly rod rigged and ready to go.

I like to take at least two rods in the car -- big river -- a 6 wt and a 4wt. Mountain streams and "wind rod" and nice gentle dry fly rod.

However, if I have to do a bunch of walking, I usually have to choose one rod and go with it. Can't see carrying two rods around all day when I may likely only use one. But there have been times when I wished I'd do so.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:30 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

When wading trout rivers I typically will only carry one #5...sometimes a #4 that is appropriate to the environment. In a drift boat with my partner we will carry two rods each and my record number, when flats fishing with my wife in Belize for bones, tarpon but primarily permit was 7 rods from a light #8 through 12-weight...all rigged. I was able to say to our guide, when he would see a fin crease the surface, "big crab or small crab" and, accordingly grab either a #9 or #10 with the correct size and weight fly. A lot of fun to fish a lot of rods in the same day.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 AM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough

Along the same line of multiple rods, do many of you bring multiple spools along to over/under line your rod? i.e. bringing an extra spool lined with a 4/5wt line to throw on a 6wt rod? Or vice versa? I've heard a few conflicting lines of thought regarding over/underlining. Curious if this weighs into anyone's choice when bringing multiple rods.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:57 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I don't but I have thought about it. If I win the lottery, I will hire a caddy to carry gear for me and then I will have all the gear I could possibly need when conditions change!
shotgunfly and BigJim2x like this.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:02 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I mostly keep backups in the car (a 9' 5wt, 9' 6wt streamer if conditions call for it, and an 8'6 3wt if I decide to change directions and head for brookies).

But on occasion I'll carry a 9' 5wt for everything and a smaller (7'6" 4wt) for tight situations. When I do I use the Simms 1/2 day back and just stick the broken down 4 piece in the pocket.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 10-14-2013, 12:10 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishers_fisherman View Post
Along the same line of multiple rods, do many of you bring multiple spools along to over/under line your rod? i.e. bringing an extra spool lined with a 4/5wt line to throw on a 6wt rod? Or vice versa? I've heard a few conflicting lines of thought regarding over/underlining. Curious if this weighs into anyone's choice when bringing multiple rods.
I like to over/under line and I bring a spool 5wt streamer line for my 6wt.

If I am fishing on foot, I will bring a 6wt spooled with 6wt floating line and an extra spool of 5wt streamer line to under line, a Tenkara Rod the Amago for a hand to hand close combat.

If I am fishing from a boat (stillwater fishing), I will bring a 6wt rod with all the lines mention above and 8wt rod spooled with a 6wt type V sinking line for my underwater Christmas tree decoration. A spinning setup with drop shot rig and a Tenkara rod.

I only have 3 fly rods the 6wt, 8wt, with 4 different types of lines in various weight for over/under lining and a Tenkara.