The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Who carries more than one rod while fishing? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/332845-who-carries-more-than-one-rod-while-fishing.html)

jmhall87 09-28-2013 08:12 PM

Who carries more than one rod while fishing?

I was just wondering I've never really seen anybody do that. I like a heavier rod for nymphing and a light rod for dries but I don't want to go all the way back to the truck if a hatch starts or stops. Anybody else do this?

okbow68 09-28-2013 08:17 PM

Re: Who carries more than one rod while fishing?

My buddy, my son, and I do most of the time.

dakotakid 09-28-2013 08:22 PM

When warm water fishing, I've taken a 4 and a 6 weight so that I can switch depending on whether or not the bass or gills are hitting. I leave one or the other on the bank while wading so that I don't have to walk all the way back to the car.

jmhall87 09-28-2013 08:24 PM

Do you just set your other rod on the back until you move on?

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Bank* not back

mirabelasunshine 09-28-2013 08:30 PM

I know guides who do, but that's different ...

On a stream, I basically never see this around here. Most of our banks are wooded and brushy, and just getting around with one rod is hassle enough. Some people carry a spare spool (i.e. sink tip) but even that is unusual.
Seems like most people rig up with what's right for what they expect to be doing the most of, and just go with it. I know that's what I do.

It's a different story on a boat. Going after warmwater stuff with a surface rig and something to go deep with is fairly normal. I think the key difference is there's somewhere easy to put it.

stanbiker 09-28-2013 08:33 PM

I sometimes carry an extra in my pack in the rod tube if I think I might fish for trout and salmon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

ia_trouter 09-28-2013 08:39 PM

Extra stays in the Jeep, just in case something bad happens since I usually drive an hour or more to fish.

jmhall87 09-28-2013 08:40 PM

Yeah I was just curious I've never carried 2 rods but I've regretted not doing it before. I'm just trying to gauge a big of a pita it might be

Hardyreels 09-28-2013 08:55 PM

I use a river boat for transportation and always have about 4 rods with me. That would be 2 single hand & 2 Spey rods. When I leave the boat I take only one rod and make it work for whatever I need.

Ard

jaybo41 09-28-2013 09:02 PM

I always take at least 2 rods to my destination but carry one when I'm hiking the stream and fishing. This allows me to change rods if I'm wanting to fish something else or another rod is better suited for the condition. If I'm fishing with my bud, we generally try to rig both rods differently and will pass them back and forth if fishing together. One dry, one nymph or streamer and sometimes same type of fly but something distinctly different.