The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 08:12 PM

jmhall87 is on a distinguished road
Default Who carries more than one rod while fishing?

I was just wondering I've never really seen anybody do that. I like a heavier rod for nymphing and a light rod for dries but I don't want to go all the way back to the truck if a hatch starts or stops. Anybody else do this?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:17 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Who carries more than one rod while fishing?

My buddy, my son, and I do most of the time.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:22 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

When warm water fishing, I've taken a 4 and a 6 weight so that I can switch depending on whether or not the bass or gills are hitting. I leave one or the other on the bank while wading so that I don't have to walk all the way back to the car.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:24 PM

Do you just set your other rod on the back until you move on?

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Bank* not back
Old 09-28-2013, 08:30 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

I know guides who do, but that's different ...

On a stream, I basically never see this around here. Most of our banks are wooded and brushy, and just getting around with one rod is hassle enough. Some people carry a spare spool (i.e. sink tip) but even that is unusual.
Seems like most people rig up with what's right for what they expect to be doing the most of, and just go with it. I know that's what I do.

It's a different story on a boat. Going after warmwater stuff with a surface rig and something to go deep with is fairly normal. I think the key difference is there's somewhere easy to put it.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

I sometimes carry an extra in my pack in the rod tube if I think I might fish for trout and salmon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Extra stays in the Jeep, just in case something bad happens since I usually drive an hour or more to fish.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:40 PM

Yeah I was just curious I've never carried 2 rods but I've regretted not doing it before. I'm just trying to gauge a big of a pita it might be
Old 09-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I use a river boat for transportation and always have about 4 rods with me. That would be 2 single hand & 2 Spey rods. When I leave the boat I take only one rod and make it work for whatever I need.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-28-2013, 09:02 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I always take at least 2 rods to my destination but carry one when I'm hiking the stream and fishing. This allows me to change rods if I'm wanting to fish something else or another rod is better suited for the condition. If I'm fishing with my bud, we generally try to rig both rods differently and will pass them back and forth if fishing together. One dry, one nymph or streamer and sometimes same type of fly but something distinctly different.