Who carries more than one rod while fishing?

jmhall87

Reaction score
I was just wondering I've never really seen anybody do that. I like a heavier rod for nymphing and a light rod for dries but I don't want to go all the way back to the truck if a hatch starts or stops. Anybody else do this?

dakotakid

Reaction score
When warm water fishing, I've taken a 4 and a 6 weight so that I can switch depending on whether or not the bass or gills are hitting. I leave one or the other on the bank while wading so that I don't have to walk all the way back to the car.

jmhall87

Reaction score
Do you just set your other rod on the back until you move on?

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Bank* not back

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
I know guides who do, but that's different ...

On a stream, I basically never see this around here. Most of our banks are wooded and brushy, and just getting around with one rod is hassle enough. Some people carry a spare spool (i.e. sink tip) but even that is unusual.
Seems like most people rig up with what's right for what they expect to be doing the most of, and just go with it. I know that's what I do.

It's a different story on a boat. Going after warmwater stuff with a surface rig and something to go deep with is fairly normal. I think the key difference is there's somewhere easy to put it.

stanbiker

Reaction score
I sometimes carry an extra in my pack in the rod tube if I think I might fish for trout and salmon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

jmhall87

Reaction score
Yeah I was just curious I've never carried 2 rods but I've regretted not doing it before. I'm just trying to gauge a big of a pita it might be

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a river boat for transportation and always have about 4 rods with me. That would be 2 single hand & 2 Spey rods. When I leave the boat I take only one rod and make it work for whatever I need.

Ard

jaybo41

Reaction score
I always take at least 2 rods to my destination but carry one when I'm hiking the stream and fishing. This allows me to change rods if I'm wanting to fish something else or another rod is better suited for the condition. If I'm fishing with my bud, we generally try to rig both rods differently and will pass them back and forth if fishing together. One dry, one nymph or streamer and sometimes same type of fly but something distinctly different.

fq13

Reaction score
If I'm in the skiff I'll carry four to six; two or three spinning and two or three fly rods. That way I can cover anything from small jacks to tarpon, but this is in the salt where you never know what you'll find.
As for fresh water, if I am on a multi day pack trip, or just a really long walk from the truck, I'll stick a five piece Albright in the back pocket of my vest so that if I broke my rod the day wouldn't be a total loss. But I generally only carry one rod for bass or trout when I'm wade or bank fishing. In a canoe I might bring two, say a four for panfish and a six for bass.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I always take at least 2 usually 3 with me in the truck.

If I am hiking more than a mile from the truck and will be in the river all day I take my Orvis backpack with an extra rod strapped to it.

al_a

Reaction score
On an all-day, long distance wading trip I'll take an extra 4 piece rod in its tube, strapped to my backpack. On shorter wading trips I usually have an extra in the vehicle. Fishing solo from my one person Watermaster raft, I carry three rods rigged. I use a 4 wt. or 3 wt. for dries, a 5 wt. for nymphs, and a 6 wt. for streamers, and only if I'm pretty certain I won't be throwing streamers will I go with only two rods in the raft.

On short wading trips, I will go with a rod that can do it all, which is usually the 5 wt., with either a 4 wt. or a 6 wt. extra in the car.

siege

Reaction score
We drove about 90 miles today to get to a great fishing location. We aired up the pontoon boats, and as my younger son was mounting the reel on his rod, the reel foot broke off and jammed in the reel seat. Spare rod and reel at hand to get him on the water ? You betcha ! He ended up with a very fat 18" rainbow a few minutes later.
I usually bungee 2 rods in their tubes to the frame.
Spare rod and reel ?
Don't leave home with out it !

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I carry two rods when I fish a reservoir,one with a floating line,one with a sinking or intermediate one.When I fishrunning waters with a friend we use one of the rod with a dry and one with a nymph,as we fish in turn ....we swap rods all day:)I love "team" fishing:)

trout champ

Reaction score
I usually carry two rods with my. One is either my Z-Axis 5wt or Radian 5wt - my workhorse rods. Or my 4wt G2 for dries or my B2MX 6wt for streamers.

Randy

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I always have two rods whenever I use some sort of watercraft (float tube, pontoon boat, drift boat, jet boat, etc.) It's nice being able to adjust presentations.

I rarely take a spare rod with me when I am on foot although I will have a spare one in the car. The only time that I will take one is if I will be hiking all day.

Dennis

plecain

Reaction score
I don't 'carry' more than one.

I always have at least one spare in the truck, though.

Often when I go I don't know which river or brook I'll end up fishing, so I take rods to suit the possible places I could fish.

wjc

Reaction score
fq13 said:
If I'm in the skiff I'll carry four to six; two or three spinning and two or three fly rods. That way I can cover anything from small jacks to tarpon, but this is in the salt where you never know what you'll find.
I hear you!

I simply don't have the discipline to go after only one specie that refuses to cooperate when there is a whole ocean out there filled with who knows what that just might be very hungry, very big and very good eating besides.

Rods in a small boat in the salt can be a major hassle - resembling a pile of kindling the kids have been making a fort out of - especially when going after multiple species from a flats boat.

Since everyone I know has flats boats, I decided to re-engineer an old bathtub Mako 17 for fly fishing - my second career - for good-weather , blue water fly fishing. The only guy I know who would use his flats boat for this has moved, but it was not a great solution for that purpose and ocassionally, quite scary.

Having multiple salt water species to go after is a much greater challenge with the fly than with conventional gear because everything wants to foul the fly line, and the wind will invariably find the slightest little protuberance to blow the line under, around or into.

Things were so much simpler years ago when setting off on my Bonneville with one fly rod, a backpack and topo maps strapped down behind me headed into the North Woods' tote road complex.

But this is just another challenge, and I'm finally getting close - only about 2 years later than anticipated.