The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By trout champ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 08:26 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about
Default Trout beads or egg fly? Why? If you use them.

I'm not wanting to discuss if using them is fly fishing or not. If you use them which is your choice, and why? Especially if you use both what is the reason you would use a bead one day and an egg fly on another day?
Old 09-29-2013, 01:13 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Trout beads or egg fly? Why? If you use them.

I never learned the peg and egg trick and it doesn't seem to work too well on my local waters. I tie my eggs with McFly Foam and some veil material. Works just fine when needed.

Randy
fredaevans and kglissmeyer1 like this.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:04 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Trout Champ
Old 09-29-2013, 11:58 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I've carried egg flys in four colors and four sizes in my boxes for 15+ years. The same 8 or ten flys I bought years ago. Every couple of years I try one our again. Never catch squat. Even in water where the only hit I get is on one of my orange Lil' Corkie strike indicators.
I've tied a few. I did a neat version with white Zelon over a red bead. Still in the fly box cause they never catch squat. I'm sure that having confidence in the fly has a lot to do with how well it works for you. I probably fish an olive GRHE much better than the eggs I've tried.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 09-30-2013, 12:25 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Trout Beads brand beads can be melted onto hooks. Some like them because they look like the real things.

I mostly use the gummy egg patterns with or without the egg veil on it. The translucency gives it a great look.

I saw this on the interwebz awhile back. I thought it was funny.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:31 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
I never learned the peg and egg trick and it doesn't seem to work too well on my local waters. I tie my eggs with McFly Foam and some veil material. Works just fine when needed.

Randy
I noticed you're in Fountain...

In CO, I've had great success using peg eggs. They work great in any water where spawning fish are around. Dream Stream, Ark, Blue, Pan, etc...

Maybe it's a confidence thing? I've NEVER caught a fish on a scud, but I know they work all over the place...

In any case, to answer the OP's question, peg eggs are easy, durable, and can mimic the size and color of eggs better than egg flies can. But that's my opinion. Before I started using beads, I still caught a lot of fish on egg flies and otter eggs as well...
Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I will use egg flies now and then, because lets face it, wether we like it or not, fish eats eggs and they eat worms, both work extremely well at different points. Cant beat that really.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM

meadballs has a spectacular aura aboutmeadballs has a spectacular aura about

I much prefer the bead. It keeps its shape, is more life-like and durable, and just catches more fish for me. Durability is and especially big factor. If you never break the line you can use the same one for years.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:28 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Ive tied eggs flies on a 1/64 ounce lead head jig hook, its worked for me but I havent used one in awhile.