The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Orvis t3 damaged (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/332848-orvis-t3-damaged.html)

jmhall87 09-28-2013 09:05 PM

Orvis t3 damaged

There is a sizeable nick in the second section of my 8'3" t3 midflex. With my luck I know it will snap next time I use it (I noticed it inspecting my gear today for an upcoming trip) does orvis still have sections on hand to replace it if it breaks? If they don't what replacement rod am I looking at? It was their top of the line then but the new Helios cost way more than it ever did. Maybe a superfine?

mojo 09-28-2013 09:21 PM

Re: Orvis t3 damaged

Sent one in about 4 months ago (T3). Sadly to say, they have plenty of spare pieces and repaired it. Break it, call Orvis and ship it off.

jmhall87 09-28-2013 09:45 PM

Thats not bad news I like this rod

Hardyreels 09-28-2013 10:27 PM

A chip does not mean the end, can you see the carbon fiber beneath the gloss finish? If the chip is just in the glossy top coat I would use it with care until mid winter and then ship.

Ard

jmhall87 09-28-2013 10:55 PM

Yeah it just makes me nervous it's my only 3wt, and I'm road tripping it too 11 mile canyon next month 1100 miles each way... I know it's gonna break while I'm there

fq13 09-28-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmhall87 (Post 596641)
Yeah it just makes me nervous it's my only 3wt, and I'm road tripping it too 11 mile canyon next month 1100 miles each way... I know it's gonna break while I'm there

I'll make you a hell of a deal on a 5wt 5 piece Allbright if you want a "good enough" back up. The thing is pretty much brand new as that's what I bought it for. Like your Orvis I have a 4wt JK Fisher I love, but its getting battle scarred and old, and sadly the company is out of business, so when its gone its gone. I found a great deal on Loomis GL3 on Ebay and so now the Allbright gathers dust, but its not a bad rod. Buy a cheap Pfleugar reel for it and you're still fishing if the Orvis gives up the ghost. Say $40 bucks plus shipping?

jmhall87 09-28-2013 11:18 PM

SOunds good so far which model is it ?

fq13 09-28-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmhall87 (Post 596652)
SOunds good so far which model is it ?

Its a Meridian 8'6".
I comes with a nice Cordura covered tube, but there is no pull tab for the zipper (I got it scratch and dent as a result), but the rod has never been fished. Just some practice casts on the back yard pond.

tbum2020 09-29-2013 01:38 AM

If you feel it effects the integrity of the rod, use their live chat explain your issue and ask for a rod repair number. There should be no issue, Orvis has me as a lifelong customer simply because of their customer support and the confidence the have in everything they sell. If you have a problem with something you get from Orvis they will go further out of their way to try to satisfy you than any other company.

Hardyreels 09-29-2013 11:34 AM

I have a Winston Spey rod that had a pretty bad chip when I got it. I was worried so I took a good macro picture of the chip and e-mailed it to the Winston rod shop. The technician there is who told me that "if it isn't down into the dark grey carbon fiber of the blank" which is was not, "just coat the area with flex coat and go use it".

You could see the blank but it was not damaged, only the epoxy finish was chipped. I used my little rod turner (motor) and put a layer of flex coat on the area. Since then I have cast it a bunch and even caught a king on the rod, still together.

Maybe try the macro photo and send to Orvis rod shop?