The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 09:05 PM

jmhall87 is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis t3 damaged

There is a sizeable nick in the second section of my 8'3" t3 midflex. With my luck I know it will snap next time I use it (I noticed it inspecting my gear today for an upcoming trip) does orvis still have sections on hand to replace it if it breaks? If they don't what replacement rod am I looking at? It was their top of the line then but the new Helios cost way more than it ever did. Maybe a superfine?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:21 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Orvis t3 damaged

Sent one in about 4 months ago (T3). Sadly to say, they have plenty of spare pieces and repaired it. Break it, call Orvis and ship it off.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:45 PM

Thats not bad news I like this rod
Old 09-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A chip does not mean the end, can you see the carbon fiber beneath the gloss finish? If the chip is just in the glossy top coat I would use it with care until mid winter and then ship.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-28-2013, 10:55 PM

Yeah it just makes me nervous it's my only 3wt, and I'm road tripping it too 11 mile canyon next month 1100 miles each way... I know it's gonna break while I'm there
Old 09-28-2013, 11:05 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhall87 View Post
Yeah it just makes me nervous it's my only 3wt, and I'm road tripping it too 11 mile canyon next month 1100 miles each way... I know it's gonna break while I'm there
I'll make you a hell of a deal on a 5wt 5 piece Allbright if you want a "good enough" back up. The thing is pretty much brand new as that's what I bought it for. Like your Orvis I have a 4wt JK Fisher I love, but its getting battle scarred and old, and sadly the company is out of business, so when its gone its gone. I found a great deal on Loomis GL3 on Ebay and so now the Allbright gathers dust, but its not a bad rod. Buy a cheap Pfleugar reel for it and you're still fishing if the Orvis gives up the ghost. Say $40 bucks plus shipping?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:18 PM

SOunds good so far which model is it ?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:25 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhall87 View Post
SOunds good so far which model is it ?
Its a Meridian 8'6".
I comes with a nice Cordura covered tube, but there is no pull tab for the zipper (I got it scratch and dent as a result), but the rod has never been fished. Just some practice casts on the back yard pond.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:38 AM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

If you feel it effects the integrity of the rod, use their live chat explain your issue and ask for a rod repair number. There should be no issue, Orvis has me as a lifelong customer simply because of their customer support and the confidence the have in everything they sell. If you have a problem with something you get from Orvis they will go further out of their way to try to satisfy you than any other company.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have a Winston Spey rod that had a pretty bad chip when I got it. I was worried so I took a good macro picture of the chip and e-mailed it to the Winston rod shop. The technician there is who told me that "if it isn't down into the dark grey carbon fiber of the blank" which is was not, "just coat the area with flex coat and go use it".

You could see the blank but it was not damaged, only the epoxy finish was chipped. I used my little rod turner (motor) and put a layer of flex coat on the area. Since then I have cast it a bunch and even caught a king on the rod, still together.

Maybe try the macro photo and send to Orvis rod shop?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;