The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Shameless plug for Allen (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/332889-shameless-plug-allen.html)

fq13 09-29-2013 08:40 AM

Shameless plug for Allen

Sweet lord! I needed some hooks, so I figured I'd look at site sponsors first. Folks, Allen is giving away hooks. $3.89 for 25 bass hooks, $2.25 for fly sizes in various shapes and only $5 for saltwater stuff up to 3/0. All with free shipping, plus their tying scissors are half off. Jump on this before they sober up. (And no I'm not affiliated with them, and never ordered from them before, but those prices blew me away). I couldn't do half as well at Bass Pro or other big boxes.

ia_trouter 09-29-2013 10:10 AM

Re: Shameless plug for Allen

I wish they sold more of the very basic tying materials. I received a nice selection of hooks from them this week and will order again soon. Hook quality appears to be very good.

rickf 09-29-2013 11:20 AM

What brand are the hooks?

stl_geoff 09-29-2013 11:33 AM

They are Allen's own brand. They are nice, I bought a couple packages worth a while ago and I need to order some more. the B200 bass bug hook is nice, but it runs HUGE, the size 4 I ordered is a 1/0 to some companies.

fq13 09-29-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickf (Post 596791)
What brand are the hooks?

No clue, they are a house brand. But I'd bet good money they're made in the same Chinese factory as the name brand hooks.

allenflyfishing 09-29-2013 12:54 PM

Thanks for the plug on our hooks. Our hooks are made both in Korea and Japan. We moved out of China over a year ago to prevent any future QC issues with our growth in hooks.

Thanks

Justin

siege 09-29-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenflyfishing (Post 596824)
Thanks for the plug on our hooks. Our hooks are made both in Korea and Japan. We moved out of China over a year ago to prevent any future QC issues with our growth in hooks.

Thanks

Justin

Thanks for thinking ahead, and for keeping an eye on qc.
I have never had a fly hook break, but I have bought some that were dull right from the box. Allen hooks are sharp and clean pointed.
You only get 1 chance to set that hook. The smallest and cheapest piece of equipment you're using to catch fish is the most important. You can own the highest quality rod, and the most innovative reel on the market, but what really matters is what happens when the fish strikes.
Keep up the good work and good quality !

stl_geoff 09-29-2013 03:20 PM

I had one in my B200 order that had a bent down/stubbed point. If I cared enough I would sharpen it, but its just set off to the side for now. I've also had Dia-Riki hooks with bubbles in the hook bend show, so they pop/break when I put them in a vice.