The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By fq13
  • 3 Post By allenflyfishing
  • 1 Post By siege

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 08:40 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shameless plug for Allen

Sweet lord! I needed some hooks, so I figured I'd look at site sponsors first. Folks, Allen is giving away hooks. $3.89 for 25 bass hooks, $2.25 for fly sizes in various shapes and only $5 for saltwater stuff up to 3/0. All with free shipping, plus their tying scissors are half off. Jump on this before they sober up. (And no I'm not affiliated with them, and never ordered from them before, but those prices blew me away). I couldn't do half as well at Bass Pro or other big boxes.
caseywise and mridenour like this.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:10 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Shameless plug for Allen

I wish they sold more of the very basic tying materials. I received a nice selection of hooks from them this week and will order again soon. Hook quality appears to be very good.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:20 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

What brand are the hooks?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:33 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

They are Allen's own brand. They are nice, I bought a couple packages worth a while ago and I need to order some more. the B200 bass bug hook is nice, but it runs HUGE, the size 4 I ordered is a 1/0 to some companies.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-29-2013, 11:34 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
What brand are the hooks?
No clue, they are a house brand. But I'd bet good money they're made in the same Chinese factory as the name brand hooks.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

Thanks for the plug on our hooks. Our hooks are made both in Korea and Japan. We moved out of China over a year ago to prevent any future QC issues with our growth in hooks.

Thanks

Justin
okbow68, mojo and mridenour like this.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:30 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenflyfishing View Post
Thanks for the plug on our hooks. Our hooks are made both in Korea and Japan. We moved out of China over a year ago to prevent any future QC issues with our growth in hooks.

Thanks

Justin
Thanks for thinking ahead, and for keeping an eye on qc.
I have never had a fly hook break, but I have bought some that were dull right from the box. Allen hooks are sharp and clean pointed.
You only get 1 chance to set that hook. The smallest and cheapest piece of equipment you're using to catch fish is the most important. You can own the highest quality rod, and the most innovative reel on the market, but what really matters is what happens when the fish strikes.
Keep up the good work and good quality !
imxer likes this.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:20 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I had one in my B200 order that had a bent down/stubbed point. If I cared enough I would sharpen it, but its just set off to the side for now. I've also had Dia-Riki hooks with bubbles in the hook bend show, so they pop/break when I put them in a vice.

Storm Drain Bonefisher