The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter
  • 1 Post By jbird
  • 2 Post By caseywise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 09:27 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Reddington Pursuit reels? Are they any good?

Well, I hope so as I just bought one. There are three rules in life that every man should learn. Never draw to an inside straight, never cheat on your girlfriend, (or with someone else's girlfriend), and never go on ebay late at night when you're bored and buy on impulse. No good will come of any of these things.

I broke the last rule. So, what's the consensus on these things? Its a 4/5/6 and it cost me forty bucks with free shipping. I'm going to put it on a 5wt for bass and pan fish. Did I get a deal or am I going to regret this? Feel free to mock.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Reddington Pursuit reels? Are they any good?

Well That ought to be okay fq13.

We got our secret code names, and we got our deals on e-bay, so what else do we need?

Be sure to get some braided-backing for the flyline, and have loads of fun.

I would never mock a fellow fly-fisherman's Gear or his Fly Tying. However, I have noticed some who are not fashionably dressed, they should all be laughed at. har har.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:59 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Unless you are fishing for tuna it should be fine. It'll hold line like it's supposed to. As much as I love pretty reels, until you go large WT most anything with enough drag for casting seems sufficient IMO.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:51 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Redington makes great reels. I have a GD, a CD, and two Brakewaters. They've all performed flawlessly thru intense, heavy use. That old gd in particular has served thru somewhere between 500-1000 steelhead. Monster Coho in saltwater and goliath carp to name few. I would trust that thing to double that at least.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

well you paid 20.00 under retail, so i'd say good buy
looks like a decent reel and redington has a good warranty on
their stuff.
enjoy your new reel

casey
Hardyreels and siege like this.

ARFE
Old 10-03-2013, 03:50 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I just got my slightly used Reddington 4/5/6 Pursuit in the mail today. It was an accidental impulse buy, but I think I'm in love. It is a very sweet reel. The drag is impressive, it will tighten down hard. Its light weight and its a breeze to pop off the spool for oiling. This thing will be a great bass/pan fish reel. Best forty bucks I never meant to spend. I can't wait to get it spooled up.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:23 PM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road

There is nothing fancy or mind blowing about them. They are just a good solid budget reel. Good drag and pretty smooth. And as stated....easy to take apart.

I really haven't seen a need to upgrade from mine. Also in a 4/5/6.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2