The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do U use protection?

Curious what other people do to protect themselves from the Suns harmefull rays?

Myself I use spf30 sunblock, polarized sunglasses, a big ol hat and PFG Columbia fishing shirts(Usually long sleeves).
But this is only when I'm fishing.

I need to be more pro-active when I'm working because I'm always in the Sun, usually wearing the big hat, shorts, and a T-shirt, not as good about wearing Sun block at work. don't ask me why, I don't know.

Anyway, do you all do what we should be doing to protect ourselves?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 PM

Wyatt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do U use protection?

Same here Hat, SPF 50+ but usually short sleeve shirts, I have trouble wearing long sleeve even in winter, I also use a product from a company called Mannatech Ambroderm on my arms and neck almost every day and have not suffered any even if I don't reapply sunblock often enough.
Wyatt
Old 02-12-2008, 10:51 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

yes I always wear protection! my fellow fishing buddy/cousin don't tho. thats why he had a kid today. oh wait I didn't read the thread good enough

anywho to get to the subject, yes I use sunblock (expensive stuff as I break out like a wuss) even tho its supposedly bad for fly lines (and my skin haha).. I just put some on and wash my hands real good then I wear army boonie hats and polarized glasses with a tank top or wife beater (lol) if its hot. gotta get that farmers tan!. another thing is the dang bugs. got to keep um off ya also! for that I use bug spray everywhere but my hands. won't ya know they still find your hands and eat those instead lol.. might have to get me one of those battery operated skeeter repeller majiggers

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

I take blood thinners, burn easy... heavy sunblock, H&H cowboy style mesh, SPF casting shirts... goes for fishing and working on the motorcycle training range.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-12-2008, 11:49 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Copper Tone has some stuff out that I've been using for a few years now that I love. It has no oils so you dont feel all nasty greasy later and it has no smell. The no smell helps since some fish (trout included) may shy away from something that has an oder they dont like. Since you put the sun screan on with your hands you might end up touching the fly or lure and leave an oder that will hurt your chances. And I start the summer with spf 20 or more depending on how much sun we have then do down to 15 afte I've been out a few times. The 15 helps a lot after you got a good tan started and still lets the produciton of Vitamin K.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:24 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Aways when fishing salt...Buffs..don't think they would be acceptable in a work environment...
Old 02-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Any body using sunblock and is still getting a tan is going to be in for trouble in 40 years or so. There is no such thing as a safe tan at any level. Fishermen must use 30 SPF or more.

McFly, if you are washing your hands after applying your sun block you are washing off the protection where you need it most, the back of your hands. There are three places that need the most protection, the nose, the top of your ears and the back of your hands. After you apply sunblock over all exposed skin including the back of your hands. Take a terry towel and wipe the palms of your hands. If you wipe while the sunblock is fresh or still wet it will wipe off. If you read the directions on a good sunblock you will see that it says to re-apply if you sweat or wipe your skin with a towel.

I use a hat with a cape, long sleeves, long pants and sunblock with at least 30 SPF. The sunblock I now use is SPF 45. And thanks to Bonefish41 I am going to be using a buff. I forgot about the sun gloves.

People loose parts of their noses and ears due to Cancer. My brother in-law wore a band aid over his nose because part of it was missing. He lived in Florida all his life and never used sun block. He has been gone for three years now.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

On Franks point about getting sunblock on the back of your hands: just put a dab on the back of one and rub the back of the other hand against it until you have it spread around. You'll look a bit weird, but it works.

McFly- I know this stuff doesn't damage fly lines at all, I was assured by the owner of the co - SPF30 Spray with Insect Repellent 4oz I think they have a version without repellant as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:23 AM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

Wide brimmed hat, sunglasses, long sleeved shirts, sun gloves and bandana. No sunscreen, Skin so Soft for bug spray.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I wear a boonie style floppy sun hat & usually long sleeves shirts.I almost always wear sungloves when fishing. I've had one Basal cell spot removed from my shoulders & my buddy just had a few removed from the top of his hands. The Dr told me that mine was the result of sun exposure a long time ago & not recently so you young guys cover up . It can come back & get you years later.