The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 12:22 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thinkng about a Drift boat!

Some gouge below. I'm leaning towards a Stealthcraft 16ft SuperFly.

How to Choose a Driftboat: Part I | MidCurrent

http://midcurrent.com/gear/how-to-ch...adipose-skiff/

http://midcurrent.com/gear/how-to-ch...i-towee-skiff/
scott_g likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:46 PM

scott_g is on a distinguished road

Thanks for taking the time listing questions I need to answer for myself. I have been a stubborn learn for myself kind of guy my whole life. I like to compile all different kinds of info and find a happy medium. At this point I am starting with a blank mind for drift boats. I am currently running a Scadden pontoon and it does the job well just looking to get out later in the season and my wife and daughter are interested in a few day floats a year as well. I bought a second pontoon for my wife and she enjoys it during to dog days when she can drag her feet in the cool water but those days are limited and the most important factor is it excludes my daughter. We can all say we want a son but she is the best thing that has happened to me. She is young at 5 but loves to train upland dogs with me and really enjoys the outdoors. Very cool to she a 5 yr old girl giving commands and a pup actually performing! I put together a little fly outfit for her to cast off of the dock at some gills and she loves it. I don't want to force things down her throat but surely want to have her included in everything. I would like to hear about a couple dealers in Michigan that are easy to deal with. I don't want to ruin the buying experience with someone wanting to push something I don't like on me. I don't want to start off with that mindset so going to try and set up a few dealers in advance to check out. Thanks again! Scott
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:51 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Scott,

Re: " I don't want to ruin the buying experience with someone wanting to push something I don't like on me."

This won't happen to you, it's just something amusing that I came across not long ago and I thought I'd share it.
We’d started looking at new drift boats and while we were at it, we looked around at the used market too. One day, I came across this absolutely beautiful ( if you like color ) nearly new High Sided aluminum. This thing was pristine and loaded. It’s hard to imagine an option or upgrade that this boat and trailer didn’t have. It was a showroom queen, the boat a dealer might have on hand to promote option packages, etc. My first thought was, “ Boy did they see this guy comin’ “.

Now, this boat was totally wrong for our uses, but I just had to know more. I mean how could a guy buy this thing and not use it enough to scuff it up a little. Turns out he wanted a boat to take his family and dogs out for rows, while camping at mountain lakes.
He never explained how he wound up looking at drift boats or what part the dealer had in his decision. Although once he bought it, he found out pretty quickly how a beautiful dream, can become a bit of a nightmare.

This boat with it’s bluff bow, large sail area, lack of a keel, relatively small footprint, when loaded down with four people, a cooler loaded with ice and picnic goodies, two dogs and whatnot, wasn’t quite what he had in mind when he dreamt back to his boyhood summers in his dads old row boat. Now add an afternoon cross wind, whitecaps and a mile or more of rowing across open water with bored and sunburned wife & kids and two dogs that just won‘t stay put. Two days of that was enough. Up for sale she went.

Enjoy, TT
scott_g likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Scott,

Re: " I don't want to ruin the buying experience with someone wanting to push something I don't like on me."

This won't happen to you, it's just something amusing that I came across not long ago and I thought I'd share it.
We’d started looking at new drift boats and while we were at it, we looked around at the used market too. One day, I came across this absolutely beautiful ( if you like color ) nearly new High Sided aluminum. This thing was pristine and loaded. It’s hard to imagine an option or upgrade that this boat and trailer didn’t have. It was a showroom queen, the boat a dealer might have on hand to promote option packages, etc. My first thought was, “ Boy did they see this guy comin’ “.

Now, this boat was totally wrong for our uses, but I just had to know more. I mean how could a guy buy this thing and not use it enough to scuff it up a little. Turns out he wanted a boat to take his family and dogs out for rows, while camping at mountain lakes.
He never explained how he wound up looking at drift boats or what part the dealer had in his decision. Although once he bought it, he found out pretty quickly how a beautiful dream, can become a bit of a nightmare.

This boat with it’s bluff bow, large sail area, lack of a keel, relatively small footprint, when loaded down with four people, a cooler loaded with ice and picnic goodies, two dogs and whatnot, wasn’t quite what he had in mind when he dreamt back to his boyhood summers in his dads old row boat. Now add an afternoon cross wind, whitecaps and a mile or more of rowing across open water with bored and sunburned wife & kids and two dogs that just won‘t stay put. Two days of that was enough. Up for sale she went.

Enjoy, TT

Not Funny! I resemble that! Looking at the Adipose skiff that was suggested.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:12 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I don't believe you will find any dealers in Michigan that sell new drift boats anymore...

Pretty much all factory direct these days....
Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
I don't believe you will find any dealers in Michigan that sell new drift boats anymore...

Pretty much all factory direct these days....
You are running the stealthcraft correct? How are you liking that if you are? Looks like from my little research I would like to look further into the Stealthcraft that is pictured in the "lets see you boat" thread and the Adipose skiff.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:51 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.

Just like that upscale reel company, you can order up a drift boat with a custom finish of your own design.

TT
Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_g View Post
You are running the stealthcraft correct? How are you liking that if you are? Looks like from my little research I would like to look further into the Stealthcraft that is pictured in the "lets see you boat" thread and the Adipose skiff.
I have owned both a Stealthcraft Drift Boat and Jet Sled...

I have rowed drifters and sleds made by darn near every company out there, nothing and I mean nothing compares to the Stealthcraft products I have used...

They are better built, made from better materials, have more attention to detail, offer more customized options than anything else out there and in the waters I have used them in, out-performed the other brands boats...

I think the best advice I could give you is ask Mike to demo some of the other companies boats he has in stock and then demo one of his...

If you don't want to drop mid to high 20's on a boat, which is what a sled like you seen in my post would run you, the ATB series is a great option, run on smaller prop outboards which keeps the price down...
Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 PM

swimmy will become famous soon enough

Everyone will have their own opinion on this topic! I'm a clack guy. 16 LP is probably the only drift boat I will ever own. I live in Bozeman and it is perfect for what I do. I'd say 40% of the boats you see around here are 16' LP Clacks...there is a reason.

With that said, Hyde makes a good boat as does Adipose (if you like a skiff.) Not a huge fan of Ro's but that is just me. Lavros are my least favorite. I've rowed them all.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:09 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I have logged a few miles in most boats.

RO!