The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 13 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By Jimmie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default October Second Began and Ended With Rainbows;

I kept things close to home yesterday, after hauling the boat 12 miles on the worst mud road in this part of the state I launched and made the 8.5 mile trip to a stretch that always produces a few fish.

These trips always start the same way, we are running at about 22 mph here with Boss riding point.
Click the image to open in full size.

The destination water is a stretch of fast current about 300 yards long. Here you're looking down as I fish.

The water has a lot of tannin in it because of all the rain in August. The wetlands get full and the swamps drain into the rivers bringing with the runoff the tea colored water. Here we are looking up stream.

Ever since I first stopped here 6 seasons ago I have caught trout every time I ever came here.

That fish is very typical of what you expect but I have landed some the size of small silvers here. Speaking of silvers, I caught 6 males who were very colored and also very aggressive.

I fished using a Sculpin pattern about 4" long because I am looking for larger fish. The salmon will grab the fly if they spot it. I could not see them because of water level & color but every time one hit my heart skipped a beat because I thought it could be that 7 pound rainbow I'm hunting...........

It seems that these trips always bring with them some outstanding scenery both on and off the river. I saw this while going home at dusk.

I took a few............

The weather threatened to clear up all day long but never really did. Because of that I carried only the little point & shoot camera and not my Nikon which would have done a job with that rainbow scene

At any rate Boss and I went home having had a good day, some nice trout and salmon were caught right where we expected them. I'm fishing a small stream right near the house tomorrow and will take some pictures there too

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-04-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: October Second Began and Ended With Rainbows;

Good Lord, Ard, I didn't think that river could be any prettier than it was when you took us there....I was wrong! The Fall colors are stunning!!I sure miss that hairy friend of yours.

P.S. Watch out for grouchy old Alaskan woman when out & about.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 10-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

It was pretty John and I wished I'd had the Nikon with a polarizer and tripod to try to capture what it really looks like right now. I was up about 6 miles above where we went. The point & shoot camera works great for close up stuff but leaves a little to be desired for landscape shots..................... Yeah I had to run that old lady off

Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

You've got a pretty spot there Ard. The Boss is cool. Bet that is one of his favorite places, and things to do.
The Rainbows are still my fav to look at. Some of the colors are spectacular. Nice fish you have there.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Your pics always make me dream Ardsimply ....beautiful!
Old 10-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Hey Jimmie,

Always good to hear from you, Boss has been up that river a whole bunch and he knows his way around where we stop. How have you been & are yyou getting any fishing done?

Ard