The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ruler on Net handle

I lost my treasured long handle wooden Orvis net this year and have been down every since.
I recently purchase (although much cheaper) another long handled net and would like to put a measuring tape down the handle.
My question, do I start from the end where the net is connected which makes sense to me as to lift fish up and hold over handle.....or do I start at the butt end?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:38 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ruler on Net handle

I actually use my rod to measure fish. It's always handy and readily available.

I've actually gotten lazy, so I don't add ruler marks to the rod. Rather I use existing land marks, such as the end of the grip, or the lettering on in the label for smaller fish, and guides and wrappings for larger fish.

The other option would be to permanently add inch markers to the rod. They could be pretty subtle, maybe just a small dot.

Then of course, my cheap Eagle Claw comes premarked

Click the image to open in full size.

Just a thought.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-04-2013, 12:39 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Joni...

I use this one...from time to time...

Anglers Design Handy Measure Tape Measure

Don't have to mark up my handle...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 10-04-2013, 01:50 PM

barham will become famous soon enough

You don't want the measuring to be too accurate or precise because then you would have to tell the truth about how long the fish was! It's better to estimate on the high side.
barham
Old 10-04-2013, 01:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a ruler taped on my rod, but I do have thread wraps.
They may look decorative, but they're for measuring
Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

This. Measure the obvious land marks on your rod and you're good. If you're keeping them and there's a question of whether they're big enough, then you want to be more precise. But for C@R? Knowing how far it is from the rod butt to say guide number x is good enough.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:23 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I don't have a ruler taped on my rod, but I do have thread wraps.
They may look decorative, but they're for measuring
that's what I usually do. Most recent rod, the check is at 12" and I put a wrap at 18", should do one at 24" too

I like the idea of having marks on the net since my rod is often set aside after I net the fish. I'd start the marks near the bag, or even measure the opening and make marks on either side of the loop so just holding the fish up over the bag will allow for a measurement. I often don't measure on the rod as I want to do a quick release, the net would help with this.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 PM

brianrap is on a distinguished road

The opening of my net is 14". I put little sharpie marks up the handle in one inch increments so a fish the length of the net opening is 14", length of the opening plus one mark up the handle is 15", opening plus two marks is 16" etc. Very easy to measure this way. I never catch anything less than 14" so shorter lengths don't need to be marked
Old 10-06-2013, 12:39 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrap View Post
The opening of my net is 14". I put little sharpie marks up the handle in one inch increments so a fish the length of the net opening is 14", length of the opening plus one mark up the handle is 15", opening plus two marks is 16" etc. Very easy to measure this way. I never catch anything less than 14" so shorter lengths don't need to be marked
This is using the "guys ruler"? (.........................................) = 12inches? Seriously, just measure markers on your rod or get out a tape and make sharpie marks on your net handle.