The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 08:29 PM

streamcaddis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to streamcaddis Send a message via Yahoo to streamcaddis
Thumbs up Re: Member Recommendation for beginner

For a starter rod outfit I would recommend an 8 ft 6 rod for a 6 weight line,something like a WF6F. Maybe a Scientific Anglers reel that hold about 50 yards of backing and line.
To me this is a good outfit for trout or panfish. This was my first outfit and I loved it. I was at the fly shop yesterday and could get it for around $160.00.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:25 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Member Recommendation for beginner

When I purchased my first outfit, I did not want anything fancy - just something decent to see if I liked fly fishing. I purchased a Cabelas Three Forks 9 ft 6 wt that was paired with a Cabelas CSR reel (sold as an outfit). It came with line and backing. Total cost was about $100. This outfit was wonderful and held up extremely well despite the beating it took from hooking trees, bushes, rocks, tall weeds, etc..... Now, a short 2 years later (barely) and several thousand dollars in rods (I am now both a fly fishing addict and a gear junkie), I kept my beginner outfit to use as a backup and to loan to friends without a fly rod. Even now if I when I take it out, I am still impressed by how well it feels compared to more expensive equipment.

I have been thinking of getting a beginning outfit for a nephew and have looked at some of the other available intro outfits (TFO, Scientific, Orvis, etc...), but for the money, I think the Three Forks outfit that I started with is much better.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:57 PM

Yukon Jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redge View Post
If you really want to make detailed recommendations, perhaps it would be best to set out more than one set of assumptions (e.g. perhaps three budget ranges).

Cheers
I also would like to see two or three budget ranges. I think a lot of people are intimidated by the sport of fly fishing thinking it is a rich mans sport.
We need to have a option that is affordable for kids that want to try fly fishing, after all they are the future of our sport! Lets face it not everybody is going to shell out $200 or $300 bucks for there kid to try something new.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Yukon Jack
Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 AM

Quickfishingloris is on a distinguished road

When I started I got a like 60$ starter set from the sports authority with like a plastic reel and it really stunk BUT, I learned a lot on that thing! You won't feel bad about leaving it in the dirt, not cleaning it right, hitting branches, slamming your tip into trees (THIS IS STUFF YOU DONT WANT TO DO WITH A NICE OUTFIT )

But what I'm getting at here is that you shouldn't get something crazy at first. You're going to make a lot of little mistakes that will damage your tackle. Some sand on an expensive fly line, or in the mechanics of a good reel, can really screw things up. If you don't affix your pieces together perfect and with care you can cause splintering in the fiberglass, etc etc.

I say go for a cheap outfit, something like a 3m (Scientific Anglers), and hit the water and have fun with it. Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:07 PM

dogger is on a distinguished road

Great thread, I used this site and then looked at my budget and how much I thought I would fly-fish. I was wrong on all on both.

I 1st bought a cheap combo, a martin 5wt which was $30 bucks, the reel broke 2 weeks into it, partially my fault.

I took it back, bought a better combo, $60 and it was better and I then had it spooled with good line, about another $50-60. At a 6wt, there's not many fish that I won't just strip in or reel if needed, no major need for a super expensive reel with a great drag.

I still use the rod/reel for bass/trout/beams and have served me well.

I purchased Redington Combo for Salmon fishing which is a great rod and reel. I purchased at a outfitter that has a buy back program, I think just about anything can be sold back to them, even stuff not purchased from them. I would name them, but not sure of the rules on this site. I do know they also offer selling it on Ebay for you. You can then purchase from them new/used equipment.

The biggest advice I could give is it is the line that will make that cheap 1st combo hard to cast, etc. I would suggest asking around to see if a local shop could spool better line on it, doesn't need to be top end, but needs to be better than the stuff that is sold with most combos.

The other suggestion, visit this site, ask questions, go to the local fly shops, they might have meetings, seminars, casting classes and things that will get you really going toward understanding fly-fishing.

Dog
Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Listen to the DOG!!!!! or you are just barking up the wrong tree!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-23-2008, 03:37 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

FYI...... right now all the walmarts in the Northeast are resetting their sporting goods departments. That means they are clearancing alot of great tackle and alot of outfits. A 70.00 SA outfit is now going for 30.00!!!!! But they will not last. ( I work overnights at walmart..... and see alot of deals. They do all of the markdowns on first shift, I work third. But the stuff is there when I work.) Just bought another flyrod and reel for under $20.00!! Added an ultralight spinning rig to the closet as well...for $5.00. Good shopping!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-23-2008, 05:28 PM

dogger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
FYI...... right now all the walmarts in the Northeast are resetting their sporting goods departments. That means they are clearancing alot of great tackle and alot of outfits. A 70.00 SA outfit is now going for 30.00!!!!! But they will not last. ( I work overnights at walmart..... and see alot of deals. They do all of the markdowns on first shift, I work third. But the stuff is there when I work.) Just bought another flyrod and reel for under $20.00!! Added an ultralight spinning rig to the closet as well...for $5.00. Good shopping!!!
The Dog saw the same thing, discounted even further Walmart prices was amazing, thought I would pick one up for my daughter, 7 yrs who just asked to learn, thought I would pick it up next time and they were all gone.

What would be a good wt and size to get for a kid? Ohhh, and for Dad as another outfit to round out my collection.

Dog
Old 02-24-2008, 04:08 AM

Quickfishingloris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
awesome... I could use another beat em up spin rod.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:56 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Ross Worldwide has a couple of outfits with everything but the fly that look like they would good place to get started.
$200 for the less expensive of the two. Abit more expensive than some of the other outfits mentioned but thought it worth taking a look at.