The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 06:14 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough
Default Fishing spots taken away

Not trying to start a contraversal topic, if you feel the need talk about something send me a PM I'd be happy to talk. Either way, with a government acting like control freaks and taking away the "outdoors" by closing all the national and state parks & recreation and thier water access point(which is wrong on many levels), I've have not been able to find any water access points. Been searching for two days with no luck. All the rivers/creeks I fish require me to either enter one of these areas or sneak through private property, not big about that. Has anyone else had this issue? Any words of advice at finding some water without fear of being arrested or having my car towed ?
wannafish likes this.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fishing spots taken away

Never thought I'd ever see a post like that on a North American forum; sign of our times?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

The federal shutdown shouldn't affect state lands.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:21 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post

They find a way.

They have shut down boat ramps in Northern AZ simple because when they were first built decades ago some Fed money was used. They no longer have any business at all with the lake, but they still shut them down.

I went to to chase some bass in the Verde river on sunday. The place I went is not improved, it is not a park, there is no parking lot, it's just a wash that sometimes holds water but most of the time it's just a way to drive in to the river. There was an electric sign that said "Closed due to shutdown".

We said screw it and went fishing anyway. When we left about noon the sign was gone and replaced by an SUV that said something about National Park Service and Law Enforcement and someone inside that gave us the stink eye when we drove out passed him.

Seriously, this stuff is out of control.

Last edited by fyshstykr; 10-08-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Unneeded political link. Thanks for understanding.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

Agreed and agreed !
One recommendation was to look into a wildlife management area.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

This morning I drove the GF's sister up to Jackson to catch a plane back home, first thing I noticed was how crowded Jackson was, but didn't put two and two together until I got north of town and saw the big electronic sign saying "Yellowstone National Park is Closed", so apparently you can't even enter the park now. On the bright side, I'm sure all the businesses in Jackson are loving the extended tourist season.

Larry

Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
This morning I drove the GF's sister up to Jackson to catch a plane back home, first thing I noticed was how crowded Jackson was, but didn't put two and two together until I got north of town and saw the big electronic sign saying "Yellowstone National Park is Closed", so apparently you can't even enter the park now. On the bright side, I'm sure all the businesses in Jackson are loving the extended tourist season.

Larry
Particularly those that sell ammo. Just, sayin.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Or State/County run access points. Had a fellow from the UK out Monday and I was really bummed at how many good access points for him were 'gated/locked off.'

With a few exceptions, all the best water for him to fish for Steelhead were shut down. What does it take to 'maintain' a small parking lot or boat launch area? Empty a garbage can once a week?

Fred Evans

Last edited by fyshstykr; 10-08-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Unneeded political party referrence. Thanks for understanding.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:24 PM

tx_newb has a spectacular aura abouttx_newb has a spectacular aura about

What I don't get is....if all these employees are furloughed, where are the park rangers coming from to tell people they can't be on the public land? Shouldn't they be home or out minding their business rather than preventing us from simply being on a spot of land or a river if they aren't getting paid?
fredaevans likes this.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

Many of the national parks are keeping skeleton crews on. I just read in the local paper that rangers are giving out trespassing citations. Before anyone coments that the national parks belong to all of us, I agree. However, there are knuckleheads who drive past the signs, around the barricades and go off roading in Grand Teton, chase the animals in Yellowstone on 4 wheelers, and there was one lame brain who was going hot tubbing in Yellowstone in water that would have boiled him alive if he was not stopped. Some of these morons need to be protected from themselves. I hope the government gets this resolved soon. It's not good for any of us. Until then, we need to show some restraint.