The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 05:29 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Connect part 2

Ok here is a visual from my last posting about connecting line to line to line etc. The pic isnt the best but it gives a visual non the less. The thing is I've been having good luck with tying braid to the fly line. I get a much better knot then with mono. The braid is 50lb test and the mono is 10lb since I was trying for bass this last summer with it. From what I was given on the last post, it looks like mono is suggested since it rolls with the cast better. At this point how close am I to understanding what was posted?

I picked up a new rod/reel over the weekend. It is a 9wt with a beefy reel. I picked it up from Cabelas and is the same outfit he uses for musky (he uses a 12 wt though). Since I will be using this for heavy toothy critters for the most part, I need a way to attach the fly up to fly line. Thus the idea of braided line. It is a heavy line I use for casting for musky. I'd try mono but fear it would break too easily. So now any suggestions on what I should use? Also is a tippet a must or can just mono be used? With this new 9wt a lot of the time a thin, nylon coated, wire leader will be used to prevent bite offs. I think at this point a tippet would be worthless with the amount of pull a big pike can put upon the line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (18.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Connect part 2

MrEsox,
Sorry, I have no idea what I'm looking at here, would really like to try and help you out but....

Can you enlarge the pics a little, you'll probably have to re-post them though to do it.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-13-2008, 08:54 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

MrEsox

the braid at the flyline serves no purpose other than to prevent your fly and the rest of your leader from turning over---that has to be horrible to cast!

I and a bunch of others here use monofiliment leaders for 60- 150# tarpon connected to the fly line with a nail knot or a loop connection there. I use all loop connections at both ends of my flyline.

I would suggest that you buy a nice tapered saltwater leader or make a simple 3 step leader and finish it off with a single piece of wire like they use for kingfish trolling or like a charter guy i know uses 50# Spiderwire and has multiple IGFA line class records.

the flies that you are going to use are tough enough to throw with a 12 wt but a 9 wt and the leader you are using looks like a frustrating day on the water. Im tying 8" and 9" flies and a 10 weight rod wont cut it!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:04 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
MrEsox,
Sorry, I have no idea what I'm looking at here, would really like to try and help you out but....

Can you enlarge the pics a little, you'll probably have to re-post them though to do it.
You should beable to click on it to enlarge it. If it wont let you do that then I dont know why it wont let you see it larger.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 PM

Shorthaul:

I'm not sure what your actually talking about. So far with the small amount of braid connected to the fly line I've not had a bad time casting it. In a wind it sucks but calm it goes really well, better then I thought it would. However, I dont use much, about 6" then the rest up to the fly is 10lb berkly iron silk. This stuff has little memory and high abrasion resistance. Casting I say away from small nymphs and wet flies, but cast streamers and popers insted. For the 9wt, I'm not going to use large streamers like you would. I'm trying for a 8" max, but usually run a 4"-6" with mostly some flash, but lots of maraboo. I posted in my folder called "my flys" I got some pics in there of what I and tying and plan on using since I have had luck with them already. The 9wt should be plenty for it. Also this was what was suggested to me by a man who works at a Cabelas in the fly shop. So I do trust that I will have no probs with it.

This 3 part leader your talking about can you give a bit more info on that. Are you takeing 3 differant weight class monos together starting heavy, mid, lighter, fly?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Well I clicked on it and yes it did enlarge, my bad... duh!

After looking at your set-up, I am unfamiliar with what you have, afraid I'm going to be of no help other than what myself and others have mentioned already. Sorry.

wish I could of been more help for you.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-14-2008, 05:25 AM

MrEsox

i would start with a perfection loop in some .024"dia Mono (40#) and run about 35"

use a blood knot and join it to 27" of .022"dia (30#) mono

use a blood knot and tie it to about 18" .017" dia mono (20#)

joint that to something the musky wont bite through like some fine single strand wire or 50# Spiderwire and tie that to your fly

make a loop in the end of your flyline line Joni showed in your other thread and coat it with something thats waterproof---connect your leader by interlocking these loops

at the other end of the flyline make another loop and tie your backing to it

make sure your backing is rated higher (30#)than the lightest part of your leader so when something breaks you only lose the end of your leader and fly ---not the whole flyline too

GOOD LUCK Mike
Old 02-14-2008, 05:42 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I would use a standard tapered leader with a 1 foot long peice of wire bite tippet. I tie my own for saltwater fishing 5' of 30lb 2' of 20lb 1' of15lb with a loop on the end then tie the bite leader with a loop to your fly and another loop to the leader. most shops that cater to saltwater fly fishing sell a braided wire bite tippet that knots wells.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:52 AM

You can also buy a premade 20# or 16# tarpon leader and substitute wire for the heavier section of shock tippet that comes on that leader---i just always tied my own.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:26 PM

Ok I think I get it now. It makes for easier things by useing mono. I'd try braid for a leader, but I've yet to find a braid that a pike/musky cant bite through. I got some 30lb test wire that I use for ice fishing on tip ups and for spring fishing for pike with dead bait. I do have small short 12lb leaders from southbend. I do beleave that the fly backing is something like 30lb and I got a bunch of heavy mono of various types. The only thing to do now is to get out and try some things...too bad we just got 8" of white stuff