The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about Crawdads

When I was over on the North Platte the other day, I was fly fishing on this rock outcropping and there was a pretty thick weed matt right next to me and I noticed all these crawdad parts and pieces and was wondering if anyone knows what feeds on them this time of year?
Click the image to open in full size.
Then I noticed the same thing on the Green a couple days ago, but this time it was up on the rocks above a riffle, crawdad parts and pieces were strewn everywhere.
Click the image to open in full size.

Larry

Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Crawdads

Raccoons, it's there all time favorite meal...I like them too.

I guess it could be a big brown, suckin on them like sunflower seeds and spitting the hulls up on shore!

Dave
von behr and fredaevans like this.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:58 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

River Otters.

TT
Old 10-11-2013, 10:02 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
River Otters.

TT
That may make more sense, I was having trouble with them stacked in a pile like that, a raccoon will eat them right where he catches it so he can keep it wet.

Dave
Old 10-11-2013, 10:25 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

If there are that many crawdads you can bet the browns are eating them. Try any salt water shrimp pattern, just tie it in darker colors.
Me, I'm lazy.
For bass I like a number 4 or 6 long shanked streamer hook. I'm using Eagle Claw Aberdeen light wires at the moment. I tie a long brown marabou tail (so it flutters when you jig it), a body of skinny earthworm brown chenille, unpainted dumbbell eyes tied a third of the way back, just like a clouser, and a brown hackle collar. The deal is you let it sink (the fly will ride hook point up) and then bring it in in short slow strips with the odd jerk. Pull it up, and let it flutter back to the bottom. It emulates a crawdad backing away, with the marabou standing in for the claws. It works on reds, snook and bass, and its a stupidly easy tie.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Gotta be coons, not sure there are many river otters in the north platte. Interesting blue coloration on the claws the those in the second pictures. Wonder if a crawdad pattern with blue on it might produce more strikes on the platte.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
Gotta be coons, not sure there are many river otters in the north platte. Interesting blue coloration on the claws the those in the second pictures. Wonder if a crawdad pattern with blue on it might produce more strikes on the platte.
Good question. They look almost like blue crab blue. But that my friend, is why God made sharpies.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:51 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I know certain Birds will eat them as well.
Brian.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:07 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Racoons or River Otters, anyway it is interesting how they eat them either on shore or on the weed mats. That spot on the Green must be a 10 ft square area so they definitely have been chowing down on crawdads. Guess I need to find a good crawdad pattern. I always thought crawdads where more of a green color or an orange color depending on when they molt, but maybe the blue color is from the pieces sitting in the sun for a few days?????

Larry

Old 10-12-2013, 06:49 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Raccoons, Otters & Mink will all eat craws, and leave piles of shell. When I was trapping those were the kinds of things I would look for to find the best places to set traps. If a pile is that large, it's probable that it may be several animals using the same spot, particularly Otters.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!