The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 03:46 PM

Kai is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flouro worth it??

I use it for nymphing only.

For dry flies, it seems to sink more, and have more memory than regular tippet, neither of which are good for maintaining a good float.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

It is all I use and all I will ever use. I will use a regular material for for a leader, but I will tie at least 24" of fluoro to it. Furled leader, fluoro
on the end.
KAI, I have never noticed the memory in fluoro, and definitely not more than regular?!
I use it on my #32 dries, no sinking and 2lb is stronger and smaller diameter the mono. PLUS INVISIBLE! I use it on all dries, sure it isn't the line sinking?

I do swear by it. I have gone with other guides on familiar water, they don't use it, but we are using same fly set up. They catch fish, but about one to my two. We switch places and same results.

Now for type. If I buy Tippet, it has to be Frog Hair Fluoro. Most time I just buy P-LINE "PURE" fluorocarbon. You really have to read cause some are only coated. In the regular fishing isle. I get 2lb, 4lb, 6lb, and 8lb.

Proof is in the pudding and if it works don't change it ;-)
Old 02-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Did someone mention Pudding? I like pudding.....

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO.....CHOCOLATE...MMMMMMMmmmmmmm
Old 02-14-2008, 08:29 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I use VANISH flourocarbon in 6 and 8 pound for my bass, bluegill, and streamer fishing. I use RIO non-flouro as tippets for my trout fishng, mosly because I fish for trou only a few times a year, and my tippet dispenser is too full to replace it with flouro.

Man, it's tough being a cheap bass urd!

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

I guess if I was in an area that demanded floro like some of the places I have fished in before, I'd give it a try. Though a $12 for a floro tippet (4 years ago) wasnt worth it. Though that was back in the early college years. Got to prioritize the important things, like pooding and beer.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I have not used Vanish for tippet material but I have used it on Power Pro braided line as a leader. I have to say it is the worse I have used. Vanish got a bad reputation with bass fishers due to it breaking at the knot on a hook set. The hook set with regular Bass gear is a very hard hook set with no stretch braided line. Seagar is a much better Fluro.

Since I don't do a great amount of dry fly fishing I use Frog Hair mono for tippet. If I fished a lot of dry flies I would use Fluor as a tippet.

Frank
Old 02-15-2008, 08:02 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Mono Leader to Flouro Tippit Knot?

I've asked this question on other threads (without an answer), but it seems relevant here: What is the best knot to connect a Froghair Mono leader to a Fluoro tippit in the 4X-7X range? I don't like loop connections, as they always seem to hinge for me. Are extra (or less) turns needed because of the disparate characteristics of Mono and Fluoro?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Default Re: Mono Leader to Flouro Tippit Knot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
I've asked this question on other threads (without an answer), but it seems relevant here: What is the best knot to connect a Froghair Mono leader to a Fluoro tippit in the 4X-7X range? I don't like loop connections, as they always seem to hinge for me. Are extra (or less) turns needed because of the disparate characteristics of Mono and Fluoro?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I am going to say there use to be a problem connecting the two but any more Fluoro is more flexible and not a big problem. I use a triple surgeon's knot but I always do the three as opposed to two when connection two different material or two different thicknesses.
Blood knot would work also.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Mono Leader to Flouro Tippit Knot?

What is the best knot to connect a Froghair Mono leader to a Fluoro tippit in the 4X-7X range? I don't like loop connections, as they always seem to hinge for me. Are extra (or less) turns needed because of the disparate characteristics of Mono and Fluoro?

Hi Fly2Fish,

If your tippet is hinging you may be using too large of loops. I make my loops as small as I can tie and still loop together.

The triple surgeon knot is good as Joni said. I also like to use two Uni knots back to back. I have not use the Uni to Uni knot with very light tippets. The Uni to Uni knots are not as bulky as the triple surgeon knot. But with very light tippets the bulk of the triple surgeon should not be a problem.

Frank