The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Maine guide/location recommendations near Acadia NP?

Hello NAFFF guys and gals,
We are staying near Acadia National Park this week. My internet searches have found me a few places to wet a line, but as a tourist it is tough to know what will be public and what will be private.

River and stream fishing season closed Oct. 1, so I am mainly looking to fish in ponds, lakes, or the ocean. We are staying on Salt Pond, and have access to a canoe while on the pond.

Any recommendations for where to shore fish in the local ponds or along the coastline? I will be doing plenty of good old fashioned searching, hiking, and paddling, but it would be nice to have an idea of a few sure places to go given we have about 5 days here. All fishing will be C&R.

I am looking into going out with a local guide out of Sedgewick, any other recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers,
TB
Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Maine guide/location recommendations near Acadia NP?

I can't be of any help Tevis, although I've been at the park many times I never fished in that area. But maybe someone will spot the thread and help you out,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

One of the better land locked salmon rivers, Grand Lake Stream, is open until the end of the month. That maybe your best moving water option, but it's a long hall from where you'll be.
Any striped bass in that region have already started their migration

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

You'll find that there's not a lot of posted land in Maine. Maine is a state with strong traditions of hunting and fishing which land owners generally respect.
Instead what you'll find is gates. Usually you're welcome to pass beyond these gates on foot but the gates may be positioned to make it very difficult for you to get to where you want to be.
Luckily most of the private land that you'd be interested in is owned or controlled by forest management and paper companies that actually encourage people to recreate on their land (in some areas for a fee).

The way to get around in Maine is with a Delorme Maine Atlas and Gazetteer (MAG).
Pick a pond off the map in the area that you'd like to fish and then look it up on the list of state lake survey maps. The better ponds are usually the ones that have special regulations with the best being "fly fishing only" which is indicated by an S-5 on these pages
2013 Maine Open Water & Ice Fishing Regulations Guide - 0033
Hardyreels and bear 007 like this.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:40 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

I second grand lake stream. It's somewhere between 2-3 hours from Acadia.
Stay 150 feet from the dam- small mouth, Brookies and land locked salmon. Wadable and can approach from both sides. Lots of good water and holes. I think you can fish 3 miles worth.
I have to tell you. Full tank of gas, some food, drinks, and some flies. For me it was worth the drive. I had a great time for a few hours and drove back. The Golden Retriever was the fly of choice in olive. Small bugger. But super effective.
Might be a couple other guys there but the town is about population 110 so not much there.

when you are done head back to Bar Harbor and go to Pats Pizza. Get the garlic knots. Funny, coastal town and the best food there is pizza. It is also where many locals go and the bar tender knew just about everybody's name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited by flyfishmich; 10-15-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: fixed my typos
Old 10-15-2013, 08:18 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys,
We did purchase a Delorme Maine Atlas (because I despise 'smart' phones), and found our way to a local pond near Blue Hill, ME.
We were able to get the rental car most of the way and hiked the rest. Maine is absolutely beautiful, especially in fall, and we didn't see a single other soul out there.
First cast hooked a perch that got away, a few casts later I landed another little perch. A bit down the shore and I caught a small LM bass (on a chironomid!)
Not too shabby for an hour of fishing at a completely unknown area

I might go out later in the week with a guide out of Deer Isle. Sounds like he mostly trolls for salmon and lake trout with streamers. Should be a fun day if all works out. He said he hasn't seen any reliable Striper activity here in years. Landlocked salmon, Brooks, and Browns will be the target.

I managed to find bait fish jumping in Salt Pond, but did not find the bigger fish that I presumed would be eating them. Salt Pond is a large estuary that fills and drains with tidal swings. The 'Pond' empties into the ocean under a bridge that is perhaps 100 feet across. Due to the extreme tide swings here, the channel gushes like a springtime river when the tide goes out, forming a standing wave that was cool to see. I fished the outflow for about an hour with no luck... the birds were eagerly eating the baitfish that were caught in the outflow, but they were at least 100 yards out, where I believe there should have been some predator fish as well.

The fun part about a new place is that it makes the angler a beginner again, always something new to learn. Looking forward to exploring on Deer Isle a bit, I hear they have trout in a few lakes (called ponds) there. Hopefully I'll catch something photo worthy to show you guys!
TB
Old 10-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I used to go up there to Piscataquis County every year on September 20 and stay till the Landlock fishing closed there. Beautiful is accurate, if we ever move from here you can expect me to be posting from somewhere near the Allagash in Arostook County. I really miss the trips there............

If you could find the time to go up to Grand Lake Stream you would be in the birth place of the featherwing streamer as we know them today. Another beautiful place and the drive from Bangor will take your breath away.

You lucky dog,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-16-2013, 08:13 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
If you could find the time to go up to Grand Lake Stream you would be in the birth place of the featherwing streamer as we know them today.
Ard, I'm sure that you were thinking of Rangeley which is on the opposite side of the state from GLS.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 10-16-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Administrator

A fellow better watch his step here with you watching the threads Right you are, somewhere in my cluttered mind there is the pattern The Grand Laker...

That's one there from the early ties. It's been a long time since I traveled in Lower Maine and 1994 since I've been up there at all so I plead confusion

I still think he should go
Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Grand Lake Stream is a great idea if you've got the time. If you do hit a off the beaten path pond just make sure you check that lawbook that Riptide posted, as long as they are stocked you will be fine. There's an LL Bean outlet and Willeys Sport Center in Ellsworth, they should be able to give you some information.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:42 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to give this guy a call.

Michael Jones, your Driftboat Guide in Maine

Yup, he's guided Lefty............

We've gone out with Mike a few times and he's really a top notch guide. We always get good fish when he guides us. I'm not sure where he'd be located this time of the year, but a quick call would provide you with that information and, potentially, if he's not available, a recommendation on who to get in contact with in the Acadia area.

Have fun!

Pocono