The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 02:08 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough
Default Aggressive Browns

I cant understand a damn thing they are saynig but this just shows how aggressive some browns can actually get. Pretty cool to watch.

Vķsir - Žingvellir: Lifandi myndir af stęrstu urrišum ķ heimi
Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Aggressive Browns

During October and November when hiking and observing spring creeks back east I have seen some pretty serious fish fights. When they are guarding a hen at a nest bed the dominate male will attack any other male who dares come close. The biting and rolling, yeah I've seen them do that. Here the salmon are the same, they fight like the devil when spawning.

Which begs the point: This is why we should be very careful when fall fishing. Catching any of the 'subordinate' males will do no harm but if you swing to the bed where the big boy is located with the hen you may end up causing him to not be the breeder. The stress of being caught or worse yet injured by a deep hook will allow for one of the subordinate fish to take position with that hen. This will end up with the big and best fish not fertilizing the eggs. In the overall scope of fisheries this is not what any of us should want. One other thing; I've seen pictures of hen fish caught in the fall spilling their eggs at the shoreline. This is the worst case scenario for fishing red's.

I know how tempting it is believe me, I know, but you gotta suck it up and move away from that nest. Just down stream you'll find all the unlucky males who are waiting in the wings. Some of these fish will be very nice also. Message is; don't fish the Redd.

Ard
mcnerney and dean_mt like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-15-2013, 02:48 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Good video but the article was great!

Ard, this is a great point. Fishing the shallow water can be exciting but once the fish are spawning the only ethical thing to do is stay out of there and watch from a distance. Which I've had the fortune to do before, pretty cool to stand and watch big browns in less than 6" of water finning over beds.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:52 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I know how tempting it is believe me, I know, but you gotta suck it up and move away from that nest. Just down stream you'll find all the unlucky males who are waiting in the wings. Some of these fish will be very nice also. Message is; don't fish the Redd.

Ard
I've always appreciated and understood this, the strong genes will continue on...

In the great lakes tribs where i live, specifically Lake Michigan tribs for Wisconsin, there is almost 0 percent natural reproduction... Now from my understanding, the Superior tribs in Wisconsin get a ton of natural reproduction and even the Michigan side of the big lake gets some...

would that change your perception to this?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:04 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

So do the fish - assuming you are referring to skamania and salmon - just not spawn in the tribs in your area or do they actually go through the motions but the spawn just does not have any chance of surviving and making it back out to the lake? They are obviously running up the tribs so I wonder how they know that 0% actually survive the spawn.

I'm just a little confused, because I grew up on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan I know the salmon and steelies do spawn and reproduce in the tribs in Northern MI. A lot of those fish populations are naturally reproducing, aren't they?

I guess in the end it wouldn't matter to me. The fish are trying to reproduce with every survival instinct they have and since I cannot know for certain that their spawn will or will not survive I'd rather respect the completely amazing act of migratory fish and leave them alone.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:14 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
So do the fish - assuming you are referring to skamania and salmon - just not spawn in the tribs in your area or do they actually go through the motions but the spawn just does not have any chance of surviving and making it back out to the lake? They are obviously running up the tribs so I wonder how they know that 0% actually survive the spawn.

I'm just a little confused, because I grew up on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan I know the salmon and steelies do spawn and reproduce in the tribs in Northern MI. A lot of those fish populations are naturally reproducing, aren't they?

I guess in the end it wouldn't matter to me. The fish are trying to reproduce with every survival instinct they have and since I cannot know for certain that their spawn will or will not survive I'd rather respect the completely amazing act of migratory fish and leave them alone.
Im referring to salmon, steelhead and browns... Wisconsin is a 100% put and take fishery paid for by our stamps. fish our milked in racine and kewaunee and released back in to the streams at fingerling size

straight from the Wisconsin DNR website-

Why don't trout and salmon reproduce naturally?
The spawning streams on the Wisconsin shoreline of Lake Michigan are not conducive to natural reproduction of trout and salmon because the summer water temperatures are too high for survival of trout fingerlings and heavy loads of sediment smother eggs incubating in the stream bed.

You are right, as i stated above Michigan and the Wisconsin Superior tribs to naturally reproduce...

Nor am i ripping fish off beds, nor do i keep trout

just posing a question i guess i already know the answer too, just me thinking out loud i guess. here in Wisconsin they close stream trout in the fall for this very reason so it is something i get

EDIT - here is the DNR Link - Bottom of page