The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 02:12 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice
Default New exotic threat

I swear to god there are days I think you should be allowed to just shoot someone (provided you have the proper tags and good cause). This morning I wake up and find not one, but two iguanas in my black sapote tree. Fine, that's what I bought the .22 Crossman pellet pistol for. Three shots and done. Then I go inside, after disposing of them so the animal rights whako's won't get their knickers in a twist (don't even get me started) and I read my paper. There, on the front page staring me in the face is our newest illegal alien. Its the Argentenian Tegu lizard. These things make the iguanas look warm and fuzzy. They get close to five feet, have sharp teeth and eat eggs and any small critter they can ingest. They are spreading North and West from Miami (of course).
I swear, if I could find the genius that thought it was harmless to release these things, I would not practice catch and release. Its not like Crocs, turtles and ground nesting birds don't have enough problems with Pythons and monitor lizards, now we add one more? Bad enough that our native fish are being out competed, at least the Oscars and snakeheads are fun to catch and good eating, even though I'd prefer them to be gone. But a five foot toothy carnivorous lizard? Seriously? The worst part is people are already saying we shouldn't kill them, but trap them humanely. Sorry. You can be an animal rights person or an environmentalist/conservationist. Pick one. The lizrds pythons, feral cats etc. Need to go. AAAARGH!

Sorry rant over, but I really would like my native fish and wildlife back.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:52 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: New exotic threat

Its hard to fix stupid.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:02 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Its hard to fix stupid.
No. It's pretty easy. It's just illegal.

(In most of nature, there's just one penalty for stupidity - death.)
Old 10-15-2013, 03:11 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
No. It's pretty easy. It's just illegal.
ROFL! MY thoughts exactly!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:13 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

A local pet shop is selling snakeheads as pets northern Snakeheads at that which can withstand the Canadian winters. I let a couple of friends in the government know and my friend pointed them to a few websites showing how much damage even 1 breeding pair can cause and they are trying now to have them made an illegal animal to have as a pet. The ones in the pet store were trying to come through the glass on the tank to get at my finger.
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
A local pet shop is selling snakeheads as pets northern Snakeheads at that which can withstand the Canadian winters. I let a couple of friends in the government know and my friend pointed them to a few websites showing how much damage even 1 breeding pair can cause and they are trying now to have them made an illegal animal to have as a pet. The ones in the pet store were trying to come through the glass on the tank to get at my finger.
Ye gads! Is that guy insane? In most states infested with them having a live snakehead, even in the livewell of your boat is good for a trip to jail, and if the judge is in a bad mood the loss of your gear. Hope they change the laws up there for your sake. These things get way to big for an aquarium and some idiot will release them sure as hell. They play heck worth native species. You do not want them in your rivers. They are an absolute nightmare. Slap that guy for me, really hard.
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:29 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I asked the sales guy if it was legal to own them and his response was "it must be if we sell them" I tried to explain how dangerous it was to have them be set loose by some idiot wanting to fish for them or grow them for food and he didn't seem to care. When I asked him if he likes to swim at the local beach he said yes and I said not if these buggers get loose you won't.
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:46 PM

brianrap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
I asked the sales guy if it was legal to own them and his response was "it must be if we sell them" I tried to explain how dangerous it was to have them be set loose by some idiot wanting to fish for them or grow them for food and he didn't seem to care. When I asked him if he likes to swim at the local beach he said yes and I said not if these buggers get loose you won't.
I wonder what a cup or two of chlorine in the tank would do?
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrap View Post
I wonder what a cup or two of chlorine in the tank would do?
Be a good start? But with those things it might just **** them off. They'd probably grow wings or something.
brianrap likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:11 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I was curious about what this creature was and Google auto filled my search with "snakeheads for sale" ... so the first link brought me to this creepy-ass site.

snakeheads for sale in USA? - Page 2