The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Business Member

flyfishusa is on a distinguished road
Default Buff Headwear?

Do any of you use Buff Headwear and what do you think of it? The cold weather season is just about here and I was thinking about giving some of these away for Christmas gifts?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:22 AM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Buff Headwear?

I use them all the time as I don't like bugs getting in my face during hatches, I love them and have 6 of them. Have not tried the warmer ones (thicker ones) as I dont mind the cold, I just wear my regular ones around my neck in winter and it keeps me warm in that area.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:28 AM
mridenour

I wear a plain old black fleece thing around my neck in the winter. I have a really ugly wool ski cap hat that I wear on my head and over my ears. It repels water and is super warm. I'd consider wearing one though so feel free to get me one for Christmas!
gzarboni and flyfishusa like this.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I bought one and used it once and found I had this suffocating feeling when I had it pulled up over my mouth and nose so I gave it to Chased. I did like the idea as you don't have to put sun tan lotion on, but I'm claustrophobic so it just didn't work. I probably should have given it more of a chance, especially with winter setting in, they would really help with the cold air on the neck and ears. When I used to ride Harley's, I would use neck gators pulled up over the nose, but in that case you have a tremendous amount of air blasting in your face and I never had that suffocating feeling.

Larry
pszy22, fredaevans and mridenour like this.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

I use them all the time. I use the thin ones that are made for warm weather and have not wished for more in the cold. The compression seems to make even the thin ones warm and they are great to cut the wind. Experienced a pretty good wind chill this weekend and these made the trip much more comfortable and when the sun came out and warmed up a little they did not get to hot. Buffs are also a great alternative to sunscreen, just picked up a pair of there gloves and if they are even close to how good the head buffs I will be grabbing a few more pair of those. The only issue I have found with them is if I have them up over my nose I tend to fog my glasses.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:22 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Like Larry, I find them uncomfortable and opt for a long billed cap with a Velcro removable, long sunshield + broad spectrum sun protection. On the other hand (or head) my wife loves them and wears them often trout fishing and almost always bonefishing. She like sun gloves too which I also can't wear. She has species appropriate scale patterned Buffs; rainbow, brown, striped bass, tarpon, etc. but has recently been favoring her Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing logo version. These make a superior gift as thy promote a cause and some portion of their sales benefits that worthwhile organization.
mcnerney, mridenour and gzarboni like this.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Im with Larry and the other guys on this one, even though I know a lot of guys and gals that wear them. Its primary use here would be for sun protection. Being a guy whose five oclock shadow shows up around noon - wearing one is like living with Velcro wrapped around my face and neck.

TT
Old 10-17-2013, 12:36 PM
mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about

My dermatologist had me use a cream on my face last March to rid my skin of pre-cancerous cells. In the weeks that followed, I had to be very careful about exposing my face and ears to ultraviolet light. I bought a Buff. It was very helpful when I was tubing on a pond in the bright sunshine -- that and my hat did the trick. I have the summer version and it's coolmax which I like. The website gives instructions for how to wear it as a hat, a balaclava, or what have you. But, all that said, I'd rather not have to wear it.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:51 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

I have one and use it all the time in the summer for fishing and running to cover my face and neck from the sun. I read some people have trouble breathing in that thing, but I have no problem.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:58 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

I wear them a lot in summer & winter. My favorite ones are made by Simms & have the breathing holes so they don't fog my glasses.