The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 05:28 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road
Default Re: so a guide service here posted this pic today

Being new also, when I saw the picture I notices the eggs streaming g from the belly and figured that was what the uproar was about. I then thought to myself that (aside from a guide doing this) if one is fishing any particular body of water they would need to know the regulations for the area as well as know fish behavior/spawning times. It does seem like for the average FF that this is something that would have to be studied if the laws don't do anything to help the fish.

Also, many of you brought up the word "redds". What do you speak off?

Another question/point. It was brought up that the browns were not a native species to the river in question. Honestly, if they are not then why the uproar here? I think there were one or two threads several months ago about some F&G dept or organization purposefully poisoning a stream to kill off brook or rainbow trout because they were not native to the area and they were trying to save a very obscure trout species. Everyone on the post seemed to be OK and supportive of this "kill" on this particular stream. Why is this different if the browns are not native? Just asking so don't get your panties in a wad.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:55 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Spawning Trout and Redds • Fish Swami

The BS about invasive species is a topic for a thread of it's own and has nothing to do with the discussion re ethics. I will immediately start a thread about it and anyone who has interest can say what they want.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:52 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

SKRAP

Quite a different issue you bring up. Protecting any obscure species in a particular body of water may be an early attempt at preventing it's extinction. We'd protect a "lowly" species such as carp or buffalo if they were facing elimination from the planet. (as we should in the opinion of most I think). I haven't been here long either, but brown trout, particulary large ones, are revered in most places they swim. Most states protect their premier fish during the spawn. Musky, walleye, Bass, whatever it may be. This thread highlights a couple issues, but the main point is probably guides, even more than us average sportsmen, should protect the resource, whether a governing agency requires it or not. The picture displays blatant disregard for the resources future.
waterfordcreek and mtbusman like this.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:34 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

In defense of those of us who fish during the spawn: I target the 'bows that follow the browns up out of Elevenmile Res. Those spawning browns will often hang around for the Kokanee spawn. This is when the real hawgs are caught. I do look out for and avoid the redds.

Maybe I'm getting older, I don't do the Dream Stream much anymore. Too dang crowded. Need to get back to building my Scout anyway.

CAB
Old 10-19-2013, 08:01 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I understand and respect the other opinions here -- and honestly, saying "eurotrash" is mostly tongue-in-cheek because I really don't personally feel that way about the fish -- really.

And sure, I suppose you can in fact give someone heck over anything you want to -- it's a free country. I would just spend my time enforcing laws against law-breakers, not people abiding by the law but doing something that you don't personally like. I absolutely despise poachers, especially since I have to spend a ridiculous amount of money on licenses to fish in VA, MD, DC and PA.

There are people just as upset with others fishing egg patterns and stuff -- .

So my rule is if it's legal, it's all good. Otherwise you should ban together and try to make it illegal. That's what matters in the end.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:07 PM

chauncey is on a distinguished road

the picture came from their facebook feed and looks like it has bene taken down. The comment thread on the Front range angler facebook post (about the blog post) is where people pointed it who it was - the shop in question was pretty easy to guess since they are the ones that posted the pic.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:18 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Spawning Trout and Redds • Fish Swami

The BS about invasive species is a topic for a thread of it's own and has nothing to do with the discussion re ethics. I will immediately start a thread about it and anyone who has interest can say what they want.
I wouldn't call my comment about invasive species BS at all. Asking the question I did, at least, helps me view ones train of thought and how they came to their conclusion. You may not see it this way but I do. Btw, that was a good read on the link you posted. Stuff I am now aware of. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:55 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrap View Post
I wouldn't call my comment about invasive species BS at all.
I wouldn't either. I think taking a thread about unethical practices re ripping spawning fish off of their redds and introducing a separate discussion of invasive species is rude and off topic and deserves a thread of it's own. You didn't do that...
Old 10-20-2013, 12:05 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Just to be clear Front Range Anglers in Boulder is NOT the fly shop who took the pictures. It was another fly shop (still trying to get conformation on which one) that took the pics and posted them. Front Range Anglers is just the blogger to post up about how un sportsman like this was.

Also, it is not against the law or any other regs to fish and catch spawning fish. It is just good common sense and practice and stewardship to the land/resources that we all use. And as a guide one needs to be aware of said stewardship and ethics and pass that on to your clients.

Randy
Old 10-20-2013, 08:33 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I wouldn't either. I think taking a thread about unethical practices re ripping spawning fish off of their redds and introducing a separate discussion of invasive species is rude and off topic and deserves a thread of it's own. You didn't do that...
Oh, right here! I brought up invasive species. That was me -- no worries. No one need to beat around the bush about it. I think it was totally relevant too -- I'd bring it up again if it came around. "Ethics" isn't law, it is just how people "feel" about a particular practice. Since how people "feel" would probably be influenced by the knowledge that brown trout are non-native and probably invasive in many areas, how is this not relevant?

"Unethical practice" is merely your opinion. Get the state of Colorado to agree with you and make it illegal, and you'll get somewhere.

Otherwise, I'm okay with it...and Bill hates you because you dredge the bottom with split shot and nymphs and steal all "the good fish" from the "real" fly fishermen. (Applying ethics to other anglers is unintentionally arrogant if you think it through far enough......)

My take: Find the guy who is frying up the trout in a skillet right now caught from the C/R waters and punish the real "cheaters" who ruin our fishing.
bigjim5589 and skrap like this.