The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 07:30 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Toughest fly box?

I have a habit of crushing fly boxes, Usually when wading warm water, I put the boxes in my pants pockets and either sit on them or when I take a little accidental dunk (seems to be a lot) and smashing them.

I would like to buy the toughest box that I can find, any suggestions?

thanks
Old 10-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toughest fly box?

Sounds like you are in need of a fly fishing vest, fanny pack, chest pack or maybe one of the new sling packs, replacing fly boxes can get expensive, let alone all the hassle it is to move flies from one crushed box to another new box. Maybe one of the aluminum boxes would hold up, not sure as I have never tried crushing one.

Larry
fredaevans and mikel like this.

Larry
Old 10-19-2013, 08:08 AM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 will become famous soon enough

These are by far the best that I have found... C&F
http://www.candfdesign.com/category/0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-19-2013, 10:07 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

For warm water I tend to use cheap plastic fishing boxes made by companies like Plano. Some have adjustable compartments if I want to use dries and nymphs but usually just have long compartment for holding streamers and popper etc. They are fairly tough and if I do break one it was pretty cheap.
fredaevans, ted4887 and dar like this.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:38 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Sounds like you are in need of a fly fishing vest, fanny pack, chest pack or maybe one of the new sling packs, replacing fly boxes can get expensive, let alone all the hassle it is to move flies from one crushed box to another new box. Maybe one of the aluminum boxes would hold up, not sure as I have never tried crushing one.

Larry
I'm with Larry...there are a lot of small, easy to tote sling packs that will carry all your stuff and not be a pain...I use one that my daughter found for 10 bucks that's not a FF product, but works very well...you'll spend a bunch more than that on a top of the line box
Old 10-19-2013, 01:01 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use the Plano boxes for my warm water flies as well.

Many years ago I learned a valuable lesson when for 2 fishing trips in as many days, I forgot my reel at home

Ever since then, I've been a lot more organized with my gear.
I have a trout vest, a saltwater vest, a warm water boat bag, a salt water tackle bag, and a warm water shoulder bag for wading.
Each bag or vest has it's own leader wallet, tippet, appropriate tools, terminal tackle, fly boxes, etc.
In other words each one has everything that I'll need to just grab and go.

What's my point ?
If you're just shoving things in your pockets when you head out to fish, sooner or later it's going to bite you in the ass

For my warm water tackle bag, I use an Swiss army surplus gas mask bag that I bought years ago for 50cents.
You can still find similar bags for 12-15 bucks. Well worth it, I think.

Click the image to open in full size.
fyshstykr and mikel like this.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Rip, you & I think much alike on many subjects. Both being practical, and likely cheap, I have similar bags as you. I purchased 3 of these several years back, and for an inexpensive way to carry & aid in organizing, they're hard to beat. I paid less than $10 each as I recall.

fyshstykr and fredaevans like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-19-2013, 02:23 PM

dhaynes has a spectacular aura aboutdhaynes has a spectacular aura about

Try one of these... pretty sure you won't break it!!!!

Old 10-19-2013, 04:47 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
Try one of these... pretty sure you won't break it!!!!

make sure they are clean inside though...uh...they have many uses
Old 10-19-2013, 07:50 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Bigjim, one look at that bag had me smelling CS gas again!

CAB
bigjim5589 and fredaevans like this.