The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 05:28 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default And Catch Fish He Did...

I count myself lucky this past week that I was able to get up to the Eastern Sierras one more time before winter sets in. This trip was just to decompress with my wife and children. We were able to enjoy some mild weather with spectacular fall scenery.

Since the government had been shut down prior to our arrival, the area was quieter than normal for this time of year. All of the campgrounds and National Forest facilities were closed, along with National Parks and monuments.

We practically had the place all to ourselves. Fishing wasn't the focus, but it couldn't be entirely avoided either. Between exploring with the family and little wilderness outings, I was able to get a couple of short sessions of stream time. The half day I was able to devote to solo fly fishing left me smelling like a skunk. I got one vicious strike from a brown, but I just couldn't close escrow. A few head shakes, and he wanted nothing more to do with me. Despite my lack of fish catching on this trip, I observed an intrepid little creature who had achieved an amazing level of success where I had failed.

I've seen some decent sized crustaceans in fresh water, but this guy was more like a juvenile lobster than a large crayfish. He was huge. He only had one claw, which made me wonder what the other guy looked like, because this beast was big and tough...a real survivor. He just nonchalantly walked by me in the stream carrying his prize in his one thick claw. In my poor showing with the fly, I was easily distracted by the scenery, and this creature occupied my day dreaming for a little while.

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

To provide a sense of scale, that's about a 6" trout in his claw. I wear extra large gloves, and he was quite a bit bigger than my hand.

We paid our respects, and he went on his way with his delicious meal. I did pull him out of the stream briefly to pose for the photograph, but I assure you that no crayfish was harmed during said filming. I can't say the same for that mangled little trout that swam too close to that massive claw.

Anyway, here are some pics of the beautiful fall scenery around the area:

The last photo was taken earlier in the week when we were all fishing together. There were fish everywhere, and we were having some fun in a wide meadow section of one of the nearby creeks. The kids did particularly well on that day. It was nice to get away and recharge the batteries.

Cheers,

-VB
Old 10-19-2013, 05:34 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: And Catch Fish He Did...

cool stuff with the 'dad and nice to see a dusting over there. I wish we'd get that 1st big storm out of the way and get a snowpack going. I'm jealous...
von behr likes this.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

These pictures are simply beautiful Eric,

The crayfish, that photo & description changes the way I think about them. Actually it sounds more like a small lobster than what I'm accustomed to seeing when I lived in their ranges. Wow.

Ard
von behr likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-19-2013, 05:50 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Beautiful pics, man I miss being out west...
von behr likes this.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:33 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

...........and I just happened to be watching an old Godzilla movie.........!

Mike
von behr likes this.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:34 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Thanks for the comments, guys. Mike, they got a dusting of snow the week before our arrival (about 8 inches worth), but much of it had melted away by the time we got there, except in the higher elevations. Hopefully they will get some decent snow this winter. We sure need it for many reasons. I'll bet the ski operators are doing their dance to tempt the snow gods right about now.

As far as that little lobster, he would have made a welcome meal for one of those reality survival show hosts...a little steam and some melted butter...tasty.

He'd been eating trout, so I'll bet that succulent crustacean meat would be a home run, steamed or grilled. As far as a trout eating him, that would have to be one very big fish to choke down a monster that size. If you chucked a lure that large, most people would laugh, unless you were targeting huge largemouth bass or an otherworldly lake monster.

He was the biggest I've ever seen, and I was surprised to find him cruising in less than a foot of water in a small creek 8,500 feet up in the mountains. Who would have thought?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:42 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Nice pics and an even nicer Abel Reel!
von behr likes this.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

VB: Great trip report with some awesome photos! That crayfish was a real monster.

Larry
von behr likes this.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:05 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

Those Pics are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
von behr likes this.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 10-20-2013, 09:13 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Lovely pics. You are a lucky man.
von behr likes this.