The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 07:25 AM

prostude is on a distinguished road
Default New member Fly rod and reel questions

Hello

I am just starting to get back in to fly fishing (as time permits)
I have not fly fished on over 20 years
I just picked up what appers to be a vintage fly rod and reel here is what I have.

8' fly rod not sure what it is made of it is a 2 piece 6 eyelet
it has a label (sticker) on it that reads
South Bend tackle co inc.
division fogladding corporation
south otselic new york 13155 made in the usa

it also has written on the rod
fly rod
COMMANDO
the next set of numbers are faded
all i can make out is
?1080
balanced for ?? (may say 26?) line
rod is in mint condition

the real is anodized green in color it reads
Shakespeare Silent
tru art automatic

no 1835
model gd
it also has a round sticker on it that reads Cortland (which I am assuming is for the line)
?333
???level
weight

Just looking to see if this setup is good for panfishing or even if the line is the right weight?

Should I use this setup or is an antique setup that should be kept on the wall what is the value of this?

Also any good spots to fly fish near cicero/clay ny
thanks in advance
Mike
Old 08-01-2010, 08:55 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: New member Fly rod and reel questions

Welcome

Try posting some pics, of the rod and reel
Then it will be easer for people too reconise what they are dealing with

chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

From a quick search on South Bend, I found that you can buy a new, 99% graphite South bend rod for $39.

The one you have sounds like my first one, if it is painted green and has a bumpy surface appearance. I got mine in 1956 or "57. The reel is about that vintage too, I believe.

If I were you, I'd get a more modern graphite rod and a regular reel - not an automatic. Martin still makes a very inexpensive reel I believe, which would be fine for a 6 weight. Graphite rods that were state of the art 20 years ago can be had very cheaply on ebay and will be vastly superior to fiberglass in terms of strength/weight ratio.

If you do use the glass rod, you will need to cast it as if you are doing it in slow motion.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-01-2010, 06:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of South Bend rods and they weren't exactly high end.
Any quality rod will have about as many guides (eyelets) as they are feet long, so your 8' rod having only 6 is telling.
Automatic reels are fairly outdated. I don't know a lot about them myself, but they are still fairly popular with bass fishermen and there's no reason not to use it if you want.
Level lines are still used, but mostly by those who fish a fly rod with live bait. Your 333 might be too old. If it's been stored where it was hot or if it's cracked at all, you'll need to replace it. If you're going to be fishing flies, you most likely will want to replace it with a weight forward line anyway

I fish my vintage fiberglass rods in fresh water nearly all the time and prefer them. And some of my rods are better than 50 years old so don't be afraid to fish yours.
As for the value, I'm afraid it's just about next to nothing
So there's no reason to baby it
Old 08-02-2010, 08:11 AM

prostude is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the info

I guess for starters I will try out what I have and report back with what problems I am having if any
the line looks like it is in great shape.

thanks again