The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 PM

870 kid is on a distinguished road
Default Looking at getting into fly-fishing...

Hello all, I recently graduated from grad school & relocated to NW Arkansas. I have always been entirely addicted to duck hunting so standing in cold water in waders is nothing new to me. I have always had an inkling to get into fly-fishing and I've heard that there is a fair amount of fly fishing for trout & smallies here in NW Arkansas. That being said, most of my fishing background has been spin fishing for walleye on Lake Erie (I grew up in NW Ohio) and farm pond fishing for largemouth bass. I guess my questions are this...how much should I shell out for my first fly rod (there is a fly fishing shop here in Fayetteville Arkansas)- I understand that rods are handmade but I just looked at some Sage rods online and wow...my duck gun came for far less money! What brands would you recommend? Any specific rod models you'd recommend- I've been told that a 5 wt. is the best starter trout/bass rod. Any books or other materials you'd recommend to help the learning curve? What other accessories are needed, I assume one of those vests with all kinds of pockets, D-rings, etc.?

Always grew up wanting to call mallards into the decoys and now want to get and enjoy some peace on the water outside of the 60 day duck season in the fall.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking at getting into fly-fishing...

Welcome to Fly Fishing and this forum in particular.

I travel to Fayetteville occasionally on business, and that little stream you cross on the way to the highway from the airport always made me want to get out the flyrod and go after smallies. You should have plenty of opportunity there. A 5 wt or a 6 woould work well for you.

Personally, if you mostly fish for bluegills and bass in streams and lakes, you can get by with $100 or less for the type of outfits sold by Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. If you can swing a bit more, I recommend going to a fly shop or contact The Full Creel.

Don't buy any Wal*Mart specials or cheap rods with foam handles. The rod and the line are most important; the reel is of lesser importance for the fishing you'll be doing initially.

If I go back o Fayetteville, maybe I'll look you up and we'll wet a line or two.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 02-14-2008, 10:40 PM

AnglerJS74 is on a distinguished road

First off, welcome. Like you I am new to fly fishing and can tell you that you'll get tons of useful and informative info here (I've received lots). I can tell you having just gotten into fly fishing and having just bought my first new rod over Christmas that you don't have to worry about spending a lot on a new rod and reel. The rods you looked at are probably more of the high end types, hand made like you mentioned. Me....? I grabbed a rod/reel combo online from Bass Pro Shops and after shipping costs spent $127.00. It's a Temple Forks rod and a White River reel. The reel is pretty simple but has worked fine for me as a beginner. I can say that I will probably purchase a new one in the future as my fishing improves.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:30 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Welcome,
I am also brand new to fly fishing and as a starting point I went went with the Cabelas Stowaway 7pc., Three Forks Reel, in a 5wt. I made this choice; keeping mind this was a starting point; on the many good reviews on the Cabelas site and that for $220 you get everthing but leader and fly.
It also comes in a very nice rod reel case I can just leave in the Jeep.
The reel is plastic and the spool is fixed but other than that it seems pretty nice for a reel that will end up being a spare.
Hopefully from this set up I will start to get an idea of what works for me and what doesn't as I allready see a 4 and 6 wt. in the future.
Good Luck....
Old 02-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group, the sport, and the working world. (the former 2 are more fun than the latter)

I'd recommend getting a ECHO classic 9' 5wt rod, whatever reel you like, and a cortland 444 flyline from fly fishing - fly fishing gear.

And yeah, you're within 200 miles of the biggest trout in the world, and easily the best trout fishing in a place that doesn't have long nasty winters.

Really.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:16 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Welcome to the group, the sport, and the working world. (the former 2 are more fun than the latter)

I'd recommend getting a ECHO classic 9' 5wt rod, whatever reel you like, and a cortland 444 flyline from fly fishing - fly fishing gear.

And yeah, you're within 200 miles of the biggest trout in the world, and easily the best trout fishing in a place that doesn't have long nasty winters.

Really.
Wish the Full Creel carried the Echo in a 6wt.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:53 PM

870 kid is on a distinguished road

thanks for the feedback so far...took a look at the echo rod, didnt see a lot of information with it?

Anybody have any experience with the St. Croix Avid rod? noticed it has a lifetime warranty and is made in the states
Old 02-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDog View Post
Wish the Full Creel carried the Echo in a 6wt.
Call him and he will get it for you. Steve's much better at getting product customer's need than updating his site.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:33 PM

xjguy07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870 kid View Post
Hello all, I recently graduated from grad school & relocated to NW Arkansas. I have always been entirely addicted to duck hunting so standing in cold water in waders is nothing new to me. I have always had an inkling to get into fly-fishing and I've heard that there is a fair amount of fly fishing for trout & smallies here in NW Arkansas. That being said, most of my fishing background has been spin fishing for walleye on Lake Erie (I grew up in NW Ohio) and farm pond fishing for largemouth bass. I guess my questions are this...how much should I shell out for my first fly rod (there is a fly fishing shop here in Fayetteville Arkansas)- I understand that rods are handmade but I just looked at some Sage rods online and wow...my duck gun came for far less money! What brands would you recommend? Any specific rod models you'd recommend- I've been told that a 5 wt. is the best starter trout/bass rod. Any books or other materials you'd recommend to help the learning curve? What other accessories are needed, I assume one of those vests with all kinds of pockets, D-rings, etc.?

Always grew up wanting to call mallards into the decoys and now want to get and enjoy some peace on the water outside of the 60 day duck season in the fall.

hello and welcome, i think these guys have set u up with a good rod outfit, but their is alot of misconsecptions that you need to buy vests and have thousands of gadgets to fly fish.

this is what i carry on me in an old back pack that i found in the back of my closet. a pair of toenail siccors(for sniping tippit), a few extra leaders/ tippit material, my fishing licens, a few bottles of water, my wader socks, needle nose pliers(for takeing out hooks), and at most two boxes of flies. i have more then that but i have seprated them into what species i'm going for(ie trout, bass, bluegill, and then one for general) i only take the general box and another for what i'm mainly after.

you dont need to drop alot of money into vests, packs, 30 dollar tweezers, and hook removal tools when you allredy have it all at home. that's what some ppl just dont get and they blow too much money on stuff the'll never use
Old 02-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi 870 kid,

Take a look at this post in the FAQ. It gives several different options for a beginner outfit. I think you will find any of them a good choice. You can also pick and choose the rod, reel and line from the list.

Frank