The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By krikau27
  • 3 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 09:23 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default if you fish streamers do you tandem?

Do you ever fish two streamers at once. How do you tie them in? What characteristics do you focus on, different colors, same colors?

Does anyone tie from the eye or do you tie to the shank? I like to tie into the eye, for some reason I seem to get less line twist.

Share some of your streamer secrets!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:34 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Re: if you fish streamers do you tandem?

Yes, often. Some of the waters that I fish are fairly slow moving and very very clear. The trout are often midging or cruising around so I fish a size 14 dark olive woolybuggar tied with a soft hackle and a small tungsten bead head. Then, I tie about 15 inches of mono to the bend in the wooly's hook shank and the second fly will be a size 20 soft hackle zebra midge. Cast down and across and slowly swing/strip retrieve- I average about 50/50 on takes to the midge vs the wooly. This is a great rig for my 9' 4wt Scott STS or my 9' 3wt Sage RPL, my tippet to the wooly is 5X and the dropper mono is 6X.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:59 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I like to fish tandem also. Usually a large streamer followed by a large stonefly or Hare's Ear. I also like to fish double using two of the same fly in different color/size combos. Example, I like to fish size 8 black buggers followed by a size 4 olive bugger. Or white followed by a light tan or back followed by purple. The combos are endless. I usually cast up and away, let her drift down and then strip in towards me.

Edit: I my first fly in at the eye and then tie my second fly off the back.

Randy

Last edited by trout champ; 10-20-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:04 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I've never even thought of tying to the eye, I always tie to the shank, and run 18 to 20 inches back. I use a strip, sink, strip, sink retrieve.
I'll have to try tying at the eye and see if cuts down on line twist. Good tip, thanks.
I have had some sucess with Mickey Finns on top, midge below.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:28 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I figured I would get even more line twist but it is just the opposite.

When fishing tandem or a triple I make it a point to stop and get the line twist out of my leader/tippet fairly regularly and it will help with keeping out major tangles.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said in the other thread, I fish 2 streamers a lot. A large one chasing a smaller one.
To tie them in I use a loop2loop connection from the leader to the tippet.
Start with a perfection loop at the leader end. Then take a piece of tippet material about 8-10 inches longer than you would normally use and tie in a surgeons loop so that you end up having a tag end of around 6-8 inches. This is going to be the dropper for the smaller fly.
Loop your tippet to the leader and tie in your streamers. The smaller one on the tag (the dropper) and the larger streamer on the point.
Like I said in the other thread, your tippet material needs to be stout and you must cast with an open loop to keep any dropper rig from fouling.

This is so easy to do that there's no reason not to do it every time. If you find that the dropper is is not working out for whatever reason, just snip it off. There's not a lot of effort wasted as it only takes a couple of extra seconds to tie this rig up anyway.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:27 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Sometimes I fish with a little fly on the top and a bigger fly on the end of the leader. About 60cm apart. This is not comfortable to cast with and therefore a seldom thing I do. It gives the trout an option between a little fly or a big fly. But it's a very popular method here in Denmark for coastal seatrout.

Kim.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not a great picture, but here's a "double" that I got earlier this season on a pair of streamers.
I don't remember exactly what they were, but I do remember where this was and most likely they were both the same size fly, fished close to the bank like 2 bait fish broken off from a school.
The same size flies but two different patterns so the fish could choose what they liked best.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 PM

fredy is on a distinguished road

Always fish doubles offering two different streamers about 24" apart.
Double your chances and it really gets their attention too.

Fredy
Old 11-13-2013, 01:53 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Nice thread. I haven't thought of two streamers in tandem. But now is when the mackeral and blues show off the beach and they'll hit any thing shiny that's moving fast. A double hook up seems very possible. Of course untangling the mess will be less fun, but nothing's perfect.