Besides Fly fishing, What do you like to do?

gzarboni

Reaction score
This thread kind of goes with the "putting a face to the name". I was just wondering what else do you guys do besides Fly fishing? I know that this might be getting a little personel but hey we are all spending time and exchanging thoughts and opionions why not see what else you guys are into.
Myself, I love playing hockey. I love hunting, I snowshoe and and do some wood carving. I am also a big movie buff. I am into hiking and am an aspiring 46er. For those of you who don't know what that is, there are 46 high peaks here in the Adirondacks that are all over 4000'. You have to registar and log your hikes and once all 46 are achived you are a 46er.
Well thats my story, Whats your"s?:yikes:

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
Funny, I'm a 46er too. Working on the 46W, albeit very slowly. My daughter and I finished the NH 4K's last winter, too. So, I'm a hiker, most enthusiastically in winter. I'm a lapsed marathon runner, coming off a few years of injuries & such and getting fat and lazy. I garden, I play the banjo, I read good books, I ski nordic, lift-served, and backcountry, and of course fish every minute I can get away with.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Fishing is my one thing. Outside of that, life is work and hanging with the wife and little guy. Next year there will probably be another diaper soiler so time for hobbies is too limited to mix anything else

gr8outdoorz

Reaction score
Fly fishing is my #1 love. Other than that, my fiancee & I are adventurers. We are up for anything involving the outdoors and adrenaline. Some of our favorites are rock climbing, mountaineering, hiking, sky diving, white water rafting, kayaking, scuba diving, and riding our mountain & road bikes.

jbird

Reaction score
Photography, woodworking, Coral reef aquaria, downhill skiing

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I enjoy anything that involves being outdoors and near water. The fly tying is fun; especially so when I work on patterns that are catching fish and plan to use them the next day. Fishing is has been the main focus of life for many years with the time when I'm not fishing being occupied by some other outdoor activity.

I have been taking pictures since 1980 using SLR cameras and that runs in streaks. I get on a photo binge and I'll hike or snowshoe to reach areas I want to shoot. Other times the camera can go for months without seeing the light of day.

I have a bicycle that I've ridden consistently since 1983 when I bought it. It's a Fuji Sundance Mountain bike with 18 gear ratios and a fly rod carrier :)

I still have a motorcycle but may sell it next spring because I'm always in the boat and don't use it much. I've done a lot of stuff outdoors in my life and could never mention everything. Basically, I'm better off mentioning what I don't like because it's a short list.

I found a picture of my bicycle taken while fishing a small stream here.

jimp

Reaction score
Guess I have a sorted past. Used to play golf whenever possible but lost interest due to the slow play on the course. Rode motorcycles for 15 years, getting too dangerous on the roads these days for 2 wheelers imo. Fished off and on since I got out of college, and been back into for the past 10 yrs. Fly fishing is something new to me, I primarily fish for crappie, usually long lining or trolling, shoot some docks or pull crankbaits. I also like rigging boats, I'm always trying to figure out a better way to equip my boat for crappie fishing.

I've got a new toy that I'm rigging now, a Gheenoe, a light fiberglass hull that can be used in very shallow water in rivers or the flats, so I'm thinking I can make it work for me during the winter time chasing the crappie in the shallow waters around her. This winter will be an interesting and hopefully learning time for me trying to figure out the 'noe. I also think this boat will work good in the hot summer time pulling crankbaits for the crappie hiding in the deep water. Time will tell. :D

I've also got a couple kayaks I fish out of occasionally when the mood strikes. Lastly I like going fast in curves, and we have an abundance of those here in E TN, (Deals Gap) very popular with the 2 wheelers, and sports cars, and my Mazda 3 5speed scratches that itch enough to keep me from getting too stupid. Anybody can go fast in a straight line, but not everyone can go faster in the curves.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I have WAAAY too many hobbies that I rotate through.

-Drag race a 94 Mustang, just an 11 sec car and streetable, but she'll pull a wheelie.

-1953 F100 streetrod I spent 6 years restoring, needs some love again soon

-Nice woodworking shop in the basement, winter hobby only

-Spin fishing (Pike-Walleye-LM Bass) in Northern MN each summer

-Huge garden, and a substantial northern MN tree collection (conifers) at my Iowa home

-Lots of guns, especially into black powder, but I only shoot at paper

Oh yeah, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, lifted, winch, locker and stuff, primarily used to pull my lawn equipment out of the ditch as I never wheel it.

I turn 51 tomorrow, probably time to slow down. :)

Bucket list tasks planned...

-Fishing in Alaska or Canada
-Restore one more old car maybe
-Retire to a state with more fishin water

Last edited:

littledavid123

Reaction score
Besides fishing it would have to be walking quietly and slowly through the woods, trying not to miss a single plant, insect or animal. Hunting for arrowheads, wild ginseng and driving the logging roads in my jeep with a 6 pack of beer and a bucket of chicken. :thmbup:

Dave

siege

Reaction score
I spent a lot of time on dirt bikes, then moved on to big cruisers, took a long bike ride every summer with pals. 4 trips to Sturgis, one thru Canada, once rode from Miami to Atlanta, then Nashville, to the original Route 66 , on to Vegas, then north to Montana, east to NYC, then south back to Miami. It was a 3 month adventure.
Now, I do leather work, making my own holsters, and I'm an amatuer gunsmith. I harvest and carve cottonwood bark for woodspirit faces, do some dutch oven cooking, and volunteer with the Boy Scouts. But other than fishing, the best part of my weekend is cooking a big dinner for the extended family every Sunday. It's something I feel helps keep a family together. It's hard to stay mad at a relative, if you know you'll be sitting at the table with them at 5:00 Sunday. If you build it, they will come.
I have a lot more hobbies, but I don't want this to turn into a self centered blog ! Do those things you enjoy, and expand your horizons. It will help you feel younger, longer.

gzarboni

Reaction score
Siege. I really like the Sunday family Dinner. That is really cool. I to enjoy cooking. I would love to have the Sunday family dinners. Maybe a start of something good.

nicknick222

Reaction score
Heres a few other hobbies I find myself doing:

Studying... not much fun but hey gotta do what you gotta do..
Throwing oversize swimbaits for LMB's
Playing guitar/ukulele
Carving and painting said oversize swimbaits
Fly tying
Off roading
Mountain biking
IPSC/3gun shooting
skiing