The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dacron vs braid for backing?

I had kind of an oopsie on ebay. I was looking for an inexpensive 8wt reel. I found a guy selling an Okuma Integrity for 33 bucks, NIB. I've read good reviews so I bought it. The oops factor is that its the 7/8 rather than the 8/9 model. The difference is in the backing capacity.
The model I bought only holds fifty yards of dacron, which isn't enough. Has anyone tried the modern braided lines? I use ten poun braid on my ultra light spinning gear. Its the same diameter as two pound, so I have well north of 100 yards if I hook a small tarpon rather than a bass.

The question is, does this new braid compress like mono, or is it going to keep its shape like dacron? Because even if it does set me back twenty bucks to buy power line or the like, I'll still come out ahead if I can get 125 yards of backing on a good cheap reel.

Last edited by fq13; 10-23-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: sic
Old 10-23-2013, 03:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dacron vs braid for backing?

Yes it does 'compress' the issue is getting same on tight enough to begin with. That was the problem I encountered. That said, fish dependent, how much do you really need on a reel?

Typical fly line will be 90 feet long; a spey line 120 foot. (Carron's are 150?) How often do you get that much out your rod tip? I've had it happen, but I can count those on the fingers of one hand. Just 50 yards is an extra 150 feet behind the end of the fly line.

Fish gets even close to all that and your toast long before ....
Pocono likes this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 10-23-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Add a thought.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:39 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Yes it does 'compress' the issue is getting same on tight enough to begin with. That was the problem I encountered. That said, fish dependent, how much do you really need on a reel?

Typical fly line will be 90 feet long; a spey line 120 foot. (Carron's are 150?) How often do you get that much out your rod tip? I've had it happen, but I can count those on the fingers of one hand. Just 50 yards is an extra 150 feet behind the end of the fly line.

Fish gets even close to all that and your toast long before ....
If it were a six weight I'd agree. But I'm as likely to hook a twenty pound tarpon as a five pound bass down here, and then its off to the races. For snook and bass, I couldn't tell you what color my backing was, but tarpon, particularly if I'm in the canoe and can't follow with the trolling motor like on the skiff, are a horse of a different color. 100 yards of backing out is about the limit, but fifty yards? Thats cutting it fine. Still, playing the odds, fifty will probably do. Iwas just hoping the new braid would solve the problem.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:43 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Dacron vs braid for backing?

With those fish ... YOU NEED MORE! Open ('still) water is one thing; moving water (river) is another game plan.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
With those fish ... YOU NEED MORE! Open ('still) water is one thing; moving water (river) is another game plan.
What wS your experience with the braid? Did it allow the fly line to get kinky, did it not come off the spool? I'm curious, as I hate to have a cunning plan foiled.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Jay,

Funny, I just finished swapping out some backing on one of my reels. In my case I needed more on the reel to fill it up for a smaller line. What I took off was 100 yards of 30 pound Gel Spun backing. This stuff is very thin diameter and 100 yards takes up very little space on an arbor. 200 yards of this stuff will cost you around 25 dollars but in all likelihood it will fit your reel.

If you do the installation yourself keep some tension on the backing and be sure to wind it on level. Almost any backing material will get lumpy if you have it too loose when you spool it up. The gel spun comes in heavier weights without gaining a whole lot in diameter, you may want to give this a look.

BTW; I have been tying with the fox tails, it makes nice flies

If you find that you are doing a bunch of backing and line swaps you may find one of these real handy.
Click the image to open in full size.

Check the Berkley Web site for them, about 24.99 and it makes the job a breeze whether you do 1 a year or half a dozen.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-23-2013, 04:11 PM

+1 to what Ard just said. Putting this stuff on a reel (properly) is a 'two person process.' Pencil through the center hole, and behind you knees for pressure, just won't cut it. First trip out and (skip putting on the fly line for the moment) rig the rod and just let the backing out into the current for a few minutes and then rewind in.

Now you have 'flat and no lumps.'

fae
Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Over the last 6-7 years I've switched to 40 & 50lb Braid as it's thinner than The Dacron even some of The new Backing is really & getting Smaller in Diameter.
I find it good especially if you want to put a Line on a Smaller sized Reel Spool like a few I have.
however be sure to buy Good Quality Braid where the Colour doesn't Bleed & Colour The Line which is one problem I had another is make sure you don't use too Fine of Braid as it will cut Fingers to The Bone so The 50lb is The Better option.
Also you will find some of the different Brands are Different Diameters another tip is if you can't fit your line on your Spool Cut 10Ft or so off The End of Running Section of The Fly Line (Weight Forward Lines only) which will allow for about 50 or so Ft of extra Backing.

Ard I've made a couple of Fixtures which can be used to change Fly Lines from Reels or to Spool new Lines 1 has 1 Reel Seat The other has has 2 Reel Seats with a large Spool with a Handles on them for winding.
The 1 with The 2 Reel seats has 2 Wire Posts for Making Loops in Fly Lines however I've another plan to build another with 2 Spools as then I'd only need one Fixture for changing Lines.
Brian
Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
What wS your experience with the braid? Did it allow the fly line to get kinky, No. did it not come off the spool? If you properly knot the fly line to the backing, its not going anywhere. With the fish you've mentioned you'll need at least 30# material. I'm curious, as I hate to have a cunning plan foiled.
Take what I say next with a huge 'Grain of salt,' Old People will know that phrase. I've never had the opportunity to fish in 'tropical waters' so the fish I don't know. But you see some fellow with a huge Tarpon on the end of his fly line. So something works.

'Not worth a Grain of salt.' Heck of a lot of history behind that. 'Salary,' your pay cheque, stems from that Roman word.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:22 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about

There is a guy I work with that you need a whole shaker of salt to talk to!