The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Surf casting

I'm not a big surf caster. Don't get me wrong, I do it. I go out every year when the mullet run comes and fish off the beach at O dark thirty. And some times I do ok as I know the bottom structure where I fish. But nine times out of ten its a nice walk on the beach and a pretty sunrise. This year, much like Charlie Brown and the football, I am determined to do better. The mullet are in. I bought a few sink tip shooting heads. What advice do you surf casters have? I've been lazy about this before. Basically throw a clouser or seaducer or a deceiver out on a floating line and see what happens. Any advice to get better results?
Old 10-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Surf casting

Rip Tide or the Boz are the ones with the answers for you Jay. I fish the salt every year but it's different here. I study the current and can usually get a good drift / swing in the direction of the costal or 'longshore current'. Someone will be able to help you better than I for sure. I just mess around looking for salmon who are traveling on that current. Every now and then I catch a flounder for my trouble

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-24-2013, 09:31 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

With a weighted fly, I like a floating line for surf fishing -- which I've done a couple of times on the advice of Rip and others. I carry a fast-sink poly leader in case I need to loop it on, but I haven't really seen a use for it in the surf around here.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:47 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
I'm not a big surf caster. Don't get me wrong, I do it. I go out every year when the mullet run comes and fish off the beach at O dark thirty. And some times I do ok as I know the bottom structure where I fish. But nine times out of ten its a nice walk on the beach and a pretty sunrise. This year, much like Charlie Brown and the football, I am determined to do better. The mullet are in. I bought a few sink tip shooting heads. What advice do you surf casters have? I've been lazy about this before. Basically throw a clouser or seaducer or a deceiver out on a floating line and see what happens. Any advice to get better results?
Are you fishing the gulf , the bay or the Atlantic ? It's a little adjustment for each area! What's following the mullet? Blues and King Mackeral or is it Jacks and Tarpon? Are you in am area with jettys or structure or are you wading into waves or flats? Give me an idea and I'll tell you what I use in each situation.
And when all else fails throw a pink and white or a chartreuse and white Clouser! BigJim ties a big streamer that's a dead on mullet fly ! South Florida is my Paradise and i wish I could be there 365 days a year there ate so many opportunitys , enjoy!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-25-2013, 12:51 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Are you fishing the gulf , the bay or the Atlantic ? It's a little adjustment for each area! What's following the mullet? Blues and King Mackeral or is it Jacks and Tarpon? Are you in am area with jettys or structure or are you wading into waves or flats? Give me an idea and I'll tell you what I use in each situation.
And when all else fails throw a pink and white or a chartreuse and white Clouser! BigJim ties a big streamer that's a dead on mullet fly ! South Florida is my Paradise and i wish I could be there 365 days a year there ate so many opportunitys , enjoy!
Its the Atlantic. I'm throwing off the Palm beach inlet. There a few jetties if I go to Palm Beach. Otherwise its just throwing into the surf. As for fish, its jacks, snook and tarpon, along with bull sharks, spinners and barracuda.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Fished Palm Beach a bunch in the 90s . Lot of big Jacks and Ladyfish as I remember. As the surf is usually not to rough in that area ( compared to northern Atlantic Beaches ) I used floating lines mainly and as I said Clousers but I also used a lot of flys that were strictly flash. Simple streamers without any weight using a lot of Flashabou and Crystal flash . The Jacks , Ceros and Lady's went crazy for these high in the water column. Shrimp patterns and Clousers took Snook as well as the various bottom dwellers. Never caught Cudas in that area bit in the Keys Decievers and Streamers with long feathers or hair as well as flash always were good.
I like working jettys because they are a natural place for predators to push bait such as mullet. Sometimes you can see them corralling the mullet againest the rocks and other times you can't. Just because you font see them doesn't mean they aren't there. If possible work up and down the jetty especially two hours before high water and the two hours after slack water this is when they will be herding and feeding the most.
The inlets can be frustrating due to boat traffic and rip tides flooding in and out. But if you catch the tailed of the flood and last of the ebb you should be able to swing flys through it with success. As far as Sharks whether it Bull , Spinners or any other kind sight fishing is your best chance as goes for Tarpon. If your not a purist ( I'm certainly not) get a couple of chum bags and put them out on the outgoing tide by the jettys . Should bring some Sharks in to view as well as a host of other fish . The chum attracts not only gamefish but tons of baitfish and mullet which helps bring the predators into view. This is a good time to use those sinking lines to get down quick to the feeding fish.
Another thing I like to do is walk the beach at dead low tide and look for bars and other structure . Then make a mental note of landmarks and come back at the better tides and work these bars and structures. Sometimes a slight difference in the way the beach is can make all the difference in finding fish.
I have a beach near me that I can only fish after 5 because all the structure ( and it's not much) and the majority of the fish ate in the roped off swim area. People look at me strange as they head down past me to fish other parts of the beach but this spot always produces for me.
The other thing is night fishing especially fir Snook can be off the charts . It's more a listening game than a seeing one , the sound of rain or splashing signaling feeding fish. And lights from the condos or whatever attracting shrimp and the fish that feed on them.
Now I keep thinking of the monster Jacks I used to see busting there from the condo I stayed at! Good luck it's a great area!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-25-2013, 08:00 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Another thing I like to do is walk the beach at dead low tide and look for bars and other structure . Then make a mental note of landmarks and come back at the better tides and work these bars and structures. Sometimes a slight difference in the way the beach is can make all the difference in finding fish.
That's the key to surf fishing right there. You need to "read' the water just as you would if you were stream fishing for trout.
The ocean is a big place and there's a lot of shore that just will not be productive. You need to concentration on the the places that are.
Beaches are not linear. Look for cusps on the shore and the bowls in between them, no matter how small.
Watch the currents. Where they meet. Where they conflict. Where they travel through the bars
Look for changes in the sea floor. Even a small area where the sand changes to pebbles may attract bait .
And don't forget to watch the birds. They're looking for lunch just like the fish.