The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 07:37 AM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Alternative usage for a fly rod?

I used the Tuscan Leveling system. Normally I set up a plank from the doorway to the shower curb but the waterproofing product was a few hours away from a complete cure. Had to think quick

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever used your hat for casting practice? Placing it out on the lawn at a distance to see if you can hit it?
Well you may want to practice that.
Earlier this season, my hat blew off my head into water too deep to wade and was quickly headed downstream.
I think that it only took 2 casts before I hooked it and reeled in my trophy.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:59 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Now that is what you call a tight quarter sight fishing, did you Bow and Arrow-ed it?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

This is not politically correct but my fly rod was wisely kept out of my mom's line of sight. I experienced her alternative use of a Hot Wheel track section and a piece of fly rod across the back of my legs would have been far worse!

As a toddler, I stuck my grandpa's fly rod into an empty ceiling light socket and blew the fuse for all the lights in the flat. I can still remember it with great fondness. Mom had a fit.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:47 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

snake shoo stick, i use it every summer
Old 10-28-2013, 06:41 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Taught several bird dogs to point a bob white quail wing tyed to a leader on a fly rod.
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:08 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

For years I used the tip section of my Cortland 8'6" 5 wt, some decoy line, and a few pheasant feathers rubber-banded to the end of the string, for a cat toy. The Cortland was my first "good" fly rod. I loaned it out and it came back broken. Eventually, the cats or the grandkids broke that one. The new one is the tip from and old Japanese composite spin rod.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 11-02-2013, 08:38 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Duct taped an old plastic fly swatter to a beat up fiberglass rod. Used to go after flies in the backyard... A lot of fun though only for a short time, and not nearly as easy as it sounds! It certainly got a lot of eye-rolls from my wife! Caution: this in NOT an inside toy!!!!!!!
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:59 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

A short fly rod and a blob of fluff on a short leader .... add two cats.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

An old cracked 8wt line on a 6wt walmart rod and a "fly" the size of a small bird spun from crappy saddle hackle and bucktail
Our 4 cats love it, in fact too much. When I'm out practice casting in the yard, they all come runnin'.