The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 12:14 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of
Default The First Fly

Do you remember what fly you used to catch your first fishwith a flyrod ?
Mine was a Muddler Minnow on the Milk River in northern Montana. It was a sad looking, scraggly, moth eaten hand me down fly. It became a beautiful piece of art when viewed in the lip of that little brookie. 40 years later, that same fly is on a cork board in my den.
What was your first fly to catch a fish ?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:28 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The First Fly

Cant be sure. I got my first fly rod with the very first work money I made ever when about 12. Wasn't interested in tying anything then,,too excited to just have a fly rod. Yellow Eagle Claw. I'm all but certain I purchased some dept store flies..you know,,the cards that used to come with a selection of flies on them...and it would have been one of those.

Wish I still had that rod.

Mike
Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I remember it well, (perhaps because it was about 2 months ago)

A reverse hackle partridge wet fly tied in the Tenkara style by Craigthor on this forum. It's in a tree a little west of Dubuque, IA. When he opened his flybox and it was basically the only fly pattern he carried at the time, I knew it might be a keeper around her.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Wooley bugger
Old 10-27-2013, 12:30 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Oddly, I tied my first fly before I made my first cast with a fly rod. I had a good skiing/guitar pickin buddy back in the 80s. He was flyfishing guide. One night after a jam session with the guitars, he said he was going fly fishing in the morning. The Crooked river in Central Oregon. Just a ways from my home town of Bend at the time. So he starts tying some flies that night at which point he walked me thru tying an olive scud and an amber tied back caddis. The next day I went out with him. I caught 6 fish on the caddis. He caught about 90 lol. But catching those 6 fish and seeing him own that river made me a believer
von behr and ia_trouter like this.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:50 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I don't recall what fly seduced that first fish, but it was likely a Woolly Worm that was the first "real" fly I tied. I also started tying before I had a fly rod. It was about a year before that I started tying, in about 1966.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:56 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

A white wolfe and it was a SM Bass.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 10-27-2013, 01:12 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

It was a long time ago, but I rember an orange rubber spider for bluegill. The first trout, a tiny brookie, fell a few years later to either a royal wulff or royal coachman, I forget which.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:39 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

This fly:

Click the image to open in full size.

In here:

Lone Pine Creek, Lone Pine, CA... in 1975

PT/TB
siege and ia_trouter like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 10-27-2013, 04:28 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

It was in 1958 & it was either a Dry Hares Ear or a Coachman as at The time I was using The Dry with a Wet under it.
I caught Fish on both The Flies that afternoon however at the time I didn't think that because The Coachman was a bigger Fly it would tend to pull The Small #10 under which probably was The Reason it worked so well.
Brian.