The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 08:29 AM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice
Default How do you store your waders for winter?

I am getting ready for the winter months, I was wondering what is the best way to store breathable waders? I have mine in the garage right now hanging. Should I bring them in the house to keep them out of the cold or just fold them up and put them in the bag that they came in and keep them in garage? let me know what is the best practice.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you store your waders for winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzarboni View Post
I am getting ready for the winter months, I was wondering what is the best way to store breathable waders? I have mine in the garage right now hanging. Should I bring them in the house to keep them out of the cold or just fold them up and put them in the bag that they came in and keep them in garage? let me know what is the best practice.
I keep mine in the house where temperature is more constant year round. After fishing, I hang them up to try inside out then outside in so they dry on both sides. When you hang them, make sure the feet are touching the floor so as not to put stress on the seams. This is even more important with boot foot waders. Once they're dry, I ROLL them up, not fold them and put them in a bag. Folding can cause stress on seams, rolling is more gentile on them so I've read.

What you don't want to do is leave them anywhere that is going to get too hot (like in a vehicle) and cause the taped seams to come apart or put them away wet. Ideally, you're doing as much possible to eliminate/reduce the stress on the seams of them.
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 10-28-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:56 AM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-28-2013, 08:56 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Hanging from a pipe in the basement. My wife won't let me hang them in the living room.
runningfish likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 AM

That's funny mine won't either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mridenour likes this.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Rolling up and putting them in a bag will help preserve the neoprene. Electric motors like those in furnace fans produce ozone that cracks neoprene. Probably not a big deal though.
gzarboni likes this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-28-2013, 09:20 AM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzarboni View Post
It is funny because as you are thinking about storing them, I am just starting to use them here.
I usually spray them with the hose (shower setup) and hang them dry in the garage for the whole week until the weekend. However, if I were going to store them for the summer, I would roll them into their bag, insert that little dry patch and store them in my closet.
jimp likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

No such thing as storing for me. Throughout winter, I'll be out fishing some skinny water tribs for steelies. If I am not doing that, I'll be fishing near some warm water discharge to avoid the icy stuff.
kglissmeyer1 likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:43 AM

keithsz is on a distinguished road

No such thing as storing for me. Throughout winter, I'll be out fishing some skinny water tribs for steelies. If I am not doing that, I'll be fishing near some warm water discharge to avoid the icy stuff.

Same here. They only get hung up for 5 days at a time.
kglissmeyer1 likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
DANG...Brookfeildangler beat me to this response....though mine was going to be more witty....(HAH).

My response to the question on how do 'i' store my waders in the Winter? ON MY FEET as I am still using them...fishing for winter steelies in the Great Lakes!

Basically though, i pretty much live in waders and never paid much attention to storing as 'down time' was short if any.

King Joe Outa Here!