The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 05:18 AM

fishenfool is on a distinguished road
Default Re: No-Knot Fas-Snap, have you ever used it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
I have one and it works, but I don't like any of the knots commonly tied with it -- so I don't bother with it.

I prefer whipped loops in my fly line -
Ummm you don't tie knots with it. You attach it to the end of your line and snap the fly onto it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:32 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I used them years ago for spin fishing. Made changing lures, mostly spinners, quick and easy.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:03 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

not too fond of them for spinning, it takes me about as long to cut and retie
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

The first rod I ever used had a no- knot eyelet pushed up in the fly line. It had barbs that gripped inside the line. It left an eye to tie a leader to. It also had a snap on the leader. The snap was very small, and was workable only if you gripped the eye with forceps and pulled the fly onto the snap hook. I haven't seen either of those devices in years, but I never had any problems with them, on the few times I used that borrowed rod.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:40 AM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
The first rod I ever used had a no- knot eyelet pushed up in the fly line. It had barbs that gripped inside the line. It left an eye to tie a leader to. It also had a snap on the leader. The snap was very small, and was workable only if you gripped the eye with forceps and pulled the fly onto the snap hook. I haven't seen either of those devices in years, but I never had any problems with them, on the few times I used that borrowed rod.
Some reviewers mentioned about using a forceps to open the snap to let the hook the fly. I should let the white river guys show me on how to do it.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 AM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

Yes, I've been using them for several years now. My old fingers just wouldn't function in tying on small flies with small knots. Saw these in Bass P.. and thought I'd try them. I use the small for 12-16 flies, and medium for 8-10 flies. I mostly nymph fish and they don't interfere with the fly. Never lost a fish due to them, and never had one straighten out. I use the old Palomar knot to tie on to tippet, easiest and strongest knot for me. The small size is a bit difficult for my fingers to work, but I don't change them that often once tied on. They are much faster than tying knots and I really would recommend them.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 AM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimarron View Post
Yes, I've been using them for several years now. My old fingers just wouldn't function in tying on small flies with small knots. Saw these in Bass P.. and thought I'd try them. I use the small for 12-16 flies, and medium for 8-10 flies. I mostly nymph fish and they don't interfere with the fly. Never lost a fish due to them, and never had one straighten out. I use the old Palomar knot to tie on to tippet, easiest and strongest knot for me. The small size is a bit difficult for my fingers to work, but I don't change them that often once tied on. They are much faster than tying knots and I really would recommend them.
Thank you for pointing me to the right direction.
Do you think that small size will fit the 8-10 flies or the medium is a must?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:06 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Here's maybe an alternative for those who have problems tying knots but don't wanna use the fas-snaps...

http://www.intheriffle.com/fishing-v...not-hemostats/
Old 10-29-2013, 03:34 PM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

Runningfish - I've tried the small with an #8 nymph and the snap is just too small. Now a #10 is OK with a small but I prefer the medium for that size. I have tried the small snap with a #12 dry fly and they are OK, no problem with the fly action. The medium snap is too big for #12 dry fly, I think. I always carry both sizes.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:00 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Siege, you & I must have started with similar outfits! Mine was a Cortland 8 wt fiberglass outfit & it also came with those eyelets that pushed into the end of the fly line. No snaps however. Those eyelets worked fine for me too, but they had a problem with the entire leader "hinging" sometimes. They would also eventually pull loose. I think the little barbs would pull the core of the fly line apart to the point that they would lose their grip. I haven't seen those in many years either. They also allowed water to get into the end of a floating line, so it would start to sink, no matter how much line dressing you put on it. (Remember the little tins of cleaner/dressing that Cortland had?)
siege likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!