The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No-Knot Fas-Snap, have you ever used it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Siege, you & I must have started with similar outfits! Mine was a Cortland 8 wt fiberglass outfit & it also came with those eyelets that pushed into the end of the fly line. No snaps however. Those eyelets worked fine for me too, but they had a problem with the entire leader "hinging" sometimes. They would also eventually pull loose. I think the little barbs would pull the core of the fly line apart to the point that they would lose their grip. I haven't seen those in many years either. They also allowed water to get into the end of a floating line, so it would start to sink, no matter how much line dressing you put on it. (Remember the little tins of cleaner/dressing that Cortland had?)
Mine was a big heavy white 9' noodle. The eyelets came on a card, and were always a rusty mess in your fly wallet. A drop of Elmers glue helped seal up the end of the fly line. For a novice without a lot of knot knowledge, the eyelet and the snap had filled a useful niche.
But that was then.....
Old 10-30-2013, 05:03 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I've tried 'em, and seems like it was harder for me to change flies or jigs when crappie fishing that I quit using 'em. I seemed to have trouble holding the fas snap and getting the eye of the hook into the fas snap making the connection so to speak.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I've tried 'em, and seems like it was harder for me to change flies or jigs when crappie fishing that I quit using 'em. I seemed to have trouble holding the fas snap and getting the eye of the hook into the fas snap making the connection so to speak.
I bought the small size yesterday and tried to hook several flies in the evening.
At first it was difficult, but then slowly I found away to connect them together.
Hopefully, I can do it properly in the fishing setup.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimarron View Post
Runningfish - I've tried the small with an #8 nymph and the snap is just too small. Now a #10 is OK with a small but I prefer the medium for that size. I have tried the small snap with a #12 dry fly and they are OK, no problem with the fly action. The medium snap is too big for #12 dry fly, I think. I always carry both sizes.
I bought the small size and had difficulties in connecting any of the fly sizes and actually had the improved clinch knot on the snap unraveled. But then I remembered someone here mentioned the palomar knots. I used that and it solved the knot problem. On the second attempt, I finally figured out how to hold the snap and the flies to connect and to disconnect them and things got easier after that.

I hooked the small snap to #12 and #10 easily. Had a difficulty to hook the #12 BH Prince, since the tungsten head was over the hook eye. Tried #8 wolly bugger and to my surprised it fit too. Maybe because the wolly buggers that I have were tied using fine wire hooks. I remembered someone saying about pressing the snap down after changing the flies, I did that with my nail and the opening gap significantly narrower.

I have a question, I am planning to use the sinker stopper to carry them http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...SELL_THUMBNAIL but I want to know how you carry yours?

by the way, I have a proposition, would you mind to trade some of your medium size snaps with my small size snap? I don't think I will be using all 30 small snaps unless I drop them into the water. Ten for ten maybe? I'll send you the postal stamp along with the snaps.

I think using these snaps will be a great help for me. One thing for sure they will make changing files easier in my UK flies rigging system for fishing deep stillwater lake.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:41 PM

crohnie31 is on a distinguished road

I've never used these, but I think if you find yourself changing the size of the snap and tippet often, you could tie up some different sizes before you even go out on the water. Just match up the smaller tippets with the smaller snaps and you can work your way up through the different sizes, tie them up with loops on the end and you should be good to go!

I like to tie as much stuff up as I can before I even go out. As long as you always have loop to loop connections you can save a ton of time from bumbling around trying to tie knots with cold, wet fingers...
Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 AM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crohnie31 View Post
I've never used these, but I think if you find yourself changing the size of the snap and tippet often, you could tie up some different sizes before you even go out on the water. Just match up the smaller tippets with the smaller snaps and you can work your way up through the different sizes, tie them up with loops on the end and you should be good to go!

I like to tie as much stuff up as I can before I even go out. As long as you always have loop to loop connections you can save a ton of time from bumbling around trying to tie knots with cold, wet fingers...
After the first trip with them, I am going to do just that for my next trips and put them in small zip bags and tag the bags.