The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Cutthroat leaders (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/335584-cutthroat-leaders.html)

hailfly 10-28-2013 02:22 PM

Cutthroat leaders

I just received my furled leaders from Cutthroat leaders, I cant wait to try
them out. Excellent customer service, would definately order from them again.
I hope its ok to post this.

Hardyreels 10-28-2013 03:17 PM

Re: Cutthroat leaders

You bet it okay to post, Mike at Cutthroat is one of our sponsors here! Glad to hear your happy and do post after you fish them. I have the Spey leaders and use them for low water fishing my wets. They turn over like a dream and make even my casting look good.

Ard

troutnut4 10-28-2013 03:39 PM

I purchased several of these leaders from Cutthroat recently and think they are the "cat's whiskers". They lay out straight and don't tangle. All you need a few feet of tippet to suit fishing conditions. I have also tried Joni's and find her leader the same. I learned about these leaders from other members of this forum. Great source for information. :D

CutThroat Leaders 10-29-2013 11:11 AM

Hello forum members. I really do appreciate hearing from members as well as non members about our leaders. Word of mouth is still our best advertising.

Remember, Forum Members get a discount if they use the Coupon Code FFF or NAFFF. We have been hearing great stories / reports from fishers using our Big Bug Leaders for Steel this season. The loop option is best for fish this size. If you throwing large streamers or bouncing eggs patterns under an indicator, this leader is great.

100% Flourocarbon Leaders

Thanks again for all of your support.

comeonavs 05-16-2014 08:06 PM

So I am heading out this weekend, I plan on fishing Hopper / Stonefly dropper or stonefly nymph patterns and if the right conditions exist maybe a BWO dry.

I have the Cutthroat dry fly leader and nymph (also hi vis nymph) leaders. Having never used anything but the dry fly one. Couple questions

This Hi vis nymph leader with a hopper, just add 4' of tippet to leader, attach hopper / dropper and get to work ?

IF nymphing only do you put the strike indicator near the furled leader / tippet ring and run whatever length tippet needed to reach the right depth ? Or do you just put the float ant on the leader and let the hi vis part guide the way.

medic77 05-16-2014 08:12 PM

Love them. I won't go back to tapered leaders again. So much easier for me.

repperson29 05-16-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medic77 (Post 668093)
Love them. I won't go back to tapered leaders again. So much easier for me.

Agreed, I'm a novice caster and throwing on a furled leader I instantly noticed better casts.

Ryan

shortyb 05-16-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comeonavs (Post 668090)
IF nymphing only do you put the strike indicator near the furled leader / tippet ring and run whatever length tippet needed to reach the right depth ? Or do you just put the float ant on the leader and let the hi vis part guide the way.

I just started fishing the hi vis myself, love my dry fly cutthroat leaders!

So I don't use an indicator (kinda the whole point) I have some float paste I got with my leaders that I use on the floating(hi vis) butt section.

The rest I'm still learning, I run a standard double nymph set up. I'm trying to use more weighted flies but I have a poor selection so have been adding split shot. I find that you can really tell when your drift is poor, vs a bobber that helps suspend flies. So think dry fly fishing, I'm trying more up stream than across but have caught fish both ways.

I have only landed a few fish with it, but today was the most productive with 3. I try and hook set any movement that looks fishy, a lot of the time I can tell my flies are drifted ahead of the line. Between attaining a good drift, and finding the right amount of tippet it's been frustrating. Finally feel like it's all worth it, casting with out a bobber/foam is so so so nice.

Maybe Mike or someone will chime in with better advice for both of us.

B

comeonavs 05-16-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortyb (Post 668099)
I just started fishing the hi vis myself, love my dry fly cutthroat leaders!

So I don't use an indicator (kinda the whole point) I have some float paste I got with my leaders that I use on the floating(hi vis) butt section.

The rest I'm still learning, I run a standard double nymph set up. I'm trying to use more weighted flies but I have a poor selection so have been adding split shot. I find that you can really tell when your drift is poor, vs a bobber that helps suspend flies. So think dry fly fishing, I'm trying more up stream than across but have caught fish both ways.

I have only landed a few fish with it, but today was the most productive with 3. I try and hook set any movement that looks fishy, a lot of the time I can tell my flies are drifted ahead of the line. Between attaining a good drift, and finding the right amount of tippet it's been frustrating. Finally feel like it's all worth it, casting with out a bobber/foam is so so so nice.

Maybe Mike or someone will chime in with better advice for both of us.

B

I appreciate the info though. I love the dry fly leader so I am hoping to get to learn how to best use these too. If I was running midges or the like I wouldn't be as concerned but I am probably running size 8 to 12 stonefly patterns this weekend and some of them are bead head and lead wrapped heavy flies.

shortyb 05-16-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comeonavs (Post 668101)
I appreciate the info though. I love the dry fly leader so I am hoping to get to learn how to best use these too. If I was running midges or the like I wouldn't be as concerned but I am probably running size 8 to 12 stonefly patterns this weekend and some of them are bead head and lead wrapped heavy flies.

That should be ok, I was turning over big stones just fine(only weighted nymphs I tie besides scuds/bead heads). It's a new way to nymph, so expect to change your tactics. Remember even with a bobber the flies should flow natural, but it's hard to tell I find after nymphing without you can tell if your drag bad a lot faster. Any change in the flies drift shows right away (including takes).

B

P.s. you will find your self using less weight, where you could cheat with an indicator and just add weight seems to work less. Change tippet length, and try again.