The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 01:07 PM

JeffK is on a distinguished road
Default Beginner with questions....Salt vs Fresh Fly Fishing

I've been wanting to get into fly fishing for quite some time. After doing alot of reading and searching on the internet I think I have a good idea of what gear I'll need to get started....

But my question is in regards to Salt vs. Fresh water fly fishing. I'm taking a trip to Roatan (an island off Honduras) this May. We're going to a fairly remote part of the island the flats fishing is supposed to be great. I've been looking into purchasing a 4 or 7 peice travel rod and reel. Obviously, this could get quite expensive. The resort suggests a 7-9 weight rod for most of the species.

Since I do alot of bass fishing in VA, ideally I'd like to purchase a rod and reel that I could use for bass once the trip is over. I'm having a hard time justifying spending all that money for a one week trip. Are saltwater and freshwater rods the same? Different?

Suggestions?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:21 PM

xjguy07 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner with questions....Salt vs Fresh Fly Fishing

well mainly salt water rods are larger and a higher weight because the fish u catch with them are larger. if your only going for one week i would say see if you can rent a setup or find a guide service or somthing that will hook u up, salt water rods/reels are really expensive.

i fish bass with a 5wt rod. and unless you know anwhere in maryland or VA that has monster 12lb bass like in texas or down south, i wouldnt go much higher then that. once you pass a 5 or 6 wt for bass it's like your fishing with an iron poll. it's just diffcult and no fun. i've had more fun useing 4wt rods for bass then i do with my 5. but i bought the 5 beucase it allows me to throw around some of thoes really cool looking poppers and weighted streamers.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:22 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Hi jeffk

the rods will be the same--- the lines will be a little different and the reels will be a lot different---

the lines that you need for the tropics will be like coil springs on a steelhead stream in december---whats another 60 bucks?

the reels that you need for salt need protection from corrosion and more importantly---they need a better drag---this reel can easily be used for freshwater

hope this helps---good luck
Old 02-15-2008, 01:29 PM

JeffK is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I think I should look into a guide service down there. I know the resort doesn't have rentals which is why I started thinking I'd buy one. If I couldn't regularly use it, it'd be a waste of money.

Another question, I've seen a million posts about the best outfits for beginners, so I won't go there.....but can anyone make a recommendation about LL Bean gear? I've got a $200 gift certificate.

I def would like a "travel" type rod that would fit into my backpack (i do alot of camping in Shenandoah/GW Forest). That said, for that type of fishing, would I be better off with a 4 weight? I'd been thinking 5 as it seems to be everyone's pick for a beginner.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:31 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=JeffK;21228] If I couldn't regularly use it, it'd be a waste of money.
QUOTE]

You've got some great fishing not far from Washington DC from reds in South Carolina to albies in N Carolina to stripers and blues in Montauk and north

If you can find a guide in Roatan that will furnish tackle ---its the best bet
Old 02-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

A fairly typical 9' 4pc 8wt will serve you well on those flats down there. A Cortland Endurance reel will give you a good value but still withstand the rigors of the saltwater environment. That same rig will work well on stripers, blues, redfish, etc on the east coast asl well.

However, that rig is FAR from ideal for trout fishing in the Shenandoahs. Something more like a ECHO classic 8' 4wt would be MUCH more ideal for that. Taking a 9' 8wt to those streams is a textbook example of taking a bazooka to a knife fight.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:33 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

A 7 or 8 with med-fast action will do fine for both. My go to rig for bass and smaller saltwater species (blues, false albies, etc.) is a 7wt SP with a Ross Canyon (Not Big Game) #3. There are many salt water safe rods/reels... for a decent set up that will do both look at something like a Sage 790-4 FLi or VT2, with a Ross Cimarron or CLA. All will take a beating and not mind the salt water at all for $490-$635 for rod and reel. The thing that won't cross over real well maybe the line... a good bet IMO would be to try a warm water clouser taper, should work OK in both environments.

TL's~

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford