The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 02:18 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What is important to you when buying gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Value---worth every penny. I don't have a lot of disposable income and I have to stretch my dollars.

Performance---it has to work and be durable.

Customer Service---if something goes wrong, help is a great thing.

Made in USA---a nice thing but if not, strong US ties in design and overseeing production.
What Mike said. I also add resale value to my criteria if it is an overly expensive item. Just in case I didn't really know what I actually needed.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

1) High price, the higher the better, the most expensive being ideal. This is very important to me. Anything to support my innate smugness and understated sense of superiority. Ideally, this would include things so fantastically over priced that most people could not even imagine buying one (incredibly expensive fly-tying bobbins are a good example).

2) Prestige manufacturer, as long as it supports the above. Ideally, these are companies recognized as a makers of the most expensive and highest quality of whatever it is.

3) Corporate support of name dropping. This could mean literal endorsements or the tacit recognition that somebody famous or superbly capable uses the equipment, or (failing that) just very rich people.

4) Obscure but rare collectable items from the “golden age” of fly fishing. Could be hand-made bamboo rods or reels that cost more than a car. The more obscure and expensive the better. Special points given to items so little known that only the most rarefied of collectors would even recognize them.
dhaynes, cab, ia_trouter and 1 others like this.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:20 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
1) High price, the higher the better, the most expensive being ideal. This is very important to me. Anything to support my innate smugness and understated sense of superiority. Ideally, this would include things so fantastically over priced that most people could not even imagine buying one (incredibly expensive fly-tying bobbins are a good example).

2) Prestige manufacturer, as long as it supports the above. Ideally, these are companies recognized as a makers of the most expensive and highest quality of whatever it is.

3) Corporate support of name dropping. This could mean literal endorsements or the tacit recognition that somebody famous or superbly capable uses the equipment, or (failing that) just very rich people.

4) Obscure but rare collectable items from the “golden age” of fly fishing. Could be hand-made bamboo rods or reels that cost more than a car. The more obscure and expensive the better. Special points given to items so little known that only the most rarefied of collectors would even recognize them.
ROFL! You forgot to mention that someone with your impeccable taste should be an endorsed spokesman.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:16 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

The Main Things I Look For Are:
1 Will it do The Job I want it for Regardless of where it's made as nearly everything these days is made in China Taiwan or Korea as I have Hardy Orvis SA Reels Made in China..
2 The size is very important.
3 How well is it made as you don't want to buy something that has been poorly made & Break down when you have a Trophy Fish on..
4 The Finish on the item although in some cases it doesn't affect The workings.
5 Is it damaged in any way probably The Most important as it also can affect The Items Operations.?
6 I also consider The Weight especially with Fly Reels which is not really important although I don't want a Reel which Feels as if I have a Brick on The end of The Rod I will be Casting for 6-8 hours.
Probably where The modern Reels have an advantage is they are mostly lighter through advanced Machining Principals than The Older ones.
7 Probably The Main one The Price am I getting Value for my Money??
If it doesn't fit all or most of The above I leave it alone.
Brian
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:21 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Initially it is trade offs between Price and Quality. This is followed by design/appearance. Things like warranty and customer service become more important as the price rises.
IMHO I believe that William has expressed it short and simple. I am of the same opinion that price & quality are more important than anything else. Where gear is produced, especially fly rods, is not as important. I see attractive looking gear at both ends of the spectrum but quality will show over the long haul so I generally pay a little more for quality regardless of origin. When I look at three of the top three rods that I have, Hardy Zenith, is made in Korea, Kabuto, (Japan) and Sage ZXL (US). I have to admit, when it comes to reels, I have an addiction to vintage Hardy and very fond of my Waterworks Lamsons.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:31 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Bang for the buck - I'm too poor to buy cheap.

Discrete logos will win out over big flashy ones every time.

Does it come in a medium valued, flat, earth-tone color?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post

lol, loves me some pretend uppity folk.
troutnut4 and craigthor like this.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Value, defined as (performance+reliability) / price.

So far the best value I've found yet was the Allen Kraken reel I got in exchange for a picture caption.
allenflyfishing likes this.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I try to get each item I have the day before it goes on sale. Been real lucky that way.

Mike
von behr, argail and cab like this.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:03 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quality. I prefer higher over lower.